Thread: Misaligned blade holder 10

Default Misaligned blade holder 10

I ran into a problem when putting the first parts of my saber together.

When I have the LED and heat sink in the hilt the blade holder does not line up properly(pics #3 & 4). The only way that I can think of to fix this would be to grind down the top, or bottom, of the heat sink so that the blade holder can make the last 1/8 of a turn. The only problem is that I don't want to unsolder my LED unless it is absolutely necessary and I also don't want the heat sink to be loose in the hilt and jiggle around.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? Should I just grind down the heat sink or should i buy another one?

I also thought of grinding down the bottom of the blade holder but I don't want to mess up the threading.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member
    Jedi Master

This is a common problem when buying pre-drilled parts, which is why a lot of the more experienced peeps buy them plain and drill it them selves.

However, in your case it's not THAT far off. I would take a hand file to the underside of the heatsink edge. This has helped me before when I've had alignment snafu's. Take a little off at a time and check. You don't want to do too much.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, that's a common problem with the blade holders like that that have slots in them. I have the same blade holder and it screws down with a slot slightly past the switch hole. It doesn't bother me much because it's not off by much and I'm using a unobtrusive set screw for holding in the blade.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Agree with Fender I do, a little goes a long way so take a few passes with a file, check it, take a few passes, check it.....repeat you will be suprised how little it takes

Another solution that I have used is to put an o-ring between parts. Because it is rubber you can tighten and loosen it slightly to get it aligned. Of course if it isn't in your design, or in your case because you need the tightness between the bladeholder and the main body to keep your LED from moving, it isn't always the best option.

The back of the heatsink with a hand file. Alright it sounds like a good idea ill do that. Thanks everyone for your help.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Its tedious, and not fun. But I've had it work for me several times when I needed just that LITTLE bit of turn. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

well here is another solution I have used with the same blade holder.

Since you don't want to desolder your LED just take the blade holder off. Get some 120 grit sand paper or so. Place the sand paper on something flat (I had adhesive backed sandpaper so it stayed in place) and lightly rub the bottom of the blade holder across the sand paper to take a little off. Do just a little at a time or you will go too far.

I used to do that with heat sinks for CPUs to lap them and get a better, flatter surface. Just be sure you do not tilt the blade holder at all. Just hold it flat and lightly (some pressure but not a lot...let the paper do the work) move it across the paper.

BEst thing to do is when you have tim drill the holes out tell him how you want it setup so he can get it ligned up where you want it.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics