Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Any body bought one of these belts???

Two things you don't want to cheap out on for a Jedi/Sith costume. Boots and belts. Either or can make or break a costume. Save some money and get a good belt, or take one of these fine tutorials from one of the masters and make one yourself.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    - So all you really need tools wise is a hammer, nails, and a screwdriver?!?!
    1. Not really. I used a nail because that's what I had at the time. you can pick up a decent inexpensive leather punch at the same time you get your material. they aren't that expensive. I just didn't have mine and didnt' realize I didn't have it until after I got home from the store. I've done leather work on and off for 20 years. I later picked up a new punch and fixed this issue. So, get a punch, and a screwdriver (if you use the screw posts I did) and your good tool wise. if you go with snaps or rivets, definately pick up the appropriate setter, anvil, etc.

Is it pretty straightforward after you buy the parts or do I need to look up a tutorial?
    Yes, it's pretty straightforward. Look at the pix and tutorial Jlo posted. big strap. little strap. just remember the old saying. Measure thrice, cut once. also, put your big belt on and then wrap the little belt around you BEFORE you cut the little belt. The little belt acutally as to be slightly longer than the big belt to accomodate the fact it's wrappin around a larger area (you and the other belt, as opposed to just you)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You also want to wrap the belt around you to decide where you want the studs to go. I usually go about 4-5" from the edges of the buckle for the front set, then put the back set spaced pretty evenly between the front studs and the back of the belt, but that spacing depends on the overall length of the belt and size of the waist.

You also need to watch the vertical spacing for the studs so that you get your holes punched in the right place for the studs to hold the inner belt in place. I made myself a template for the hole spacing for different size belts.

I get my screw in button studs from a place called harwareelf.com and my generic buckles from strapworks.com, but you might be able to find cool looking buckles yourself.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

To be sure, nothing beats real leather. But I have three of the costumebase (a.k.a. http://utopiabase.com/) belts, and I think they're great. The important thing is that 1) they look good (you have to get pretty close to see they aren't real leather), and 2) they're functional. For the price and convenience, there's nothing better. As for shipping times, I've always been surprised at how quickly I get items from costumebase, but maybe that's because I live in Japan.

As for the pouches, they have limited functionality (you could put your calling cards in there, but not your cellphone), but they are screen accurate--more screen accurate, actually, than proper leather pouches. One problem, though, is that the metal clip is extremely stiff, making it hard to hook onto the belt, and if you hang them on the narrow, middle strip, they sag. But, again, you can't beat the price and convenience. I've made my own functional, semi-screen-accurate pouches from pleather, and while I think I did a good job, they still look like pleather. Making fairly screen-accurate pouches from real leather would take leather-crafting skills that are way beyond me, particularly since the props used on screen were carved or molded, then cast in resin and painted (if I recall correctly).

Someone mentioned boots. I have a pair of pleather boots I ordered from http://www.caboots.com/, and after a single day of wear, the plastic around the Achilles tendon area had worn off. Pleather boots really look like pleather, even from a distance. But I'm not yet ready to invest in a pair of proper leather boots.

With costumebase, you need to pick and choose. The plastic energy capsules are great; the metal ones aren't. In the photos, the costumes all look cheesy to me, except for the Obi-Wan, but since I have already made a jedi costume I'm quite happy with, I don't foresee seriously thinking about buying one in the near future.

Just my two cents.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkaiHalon View Post
    Reasons NOT to buy the belt.

1. It's pleather.
    2. It's located in singapore*. Although he offers free shipping, it's going to take forever.
    3. For about the same price, give or take a few bucks, you can go to your local leather craft store (tandy, some hobby lobbies, etc) and make your own belt from leather. That's what I did, and my belt borders on epic win**.

*Singapore is a fine city. I've been there, I was thoroughly impressed with the cleanliness of the city as well as the hospitality of the citizens. It's just a long way, and shipping will take forever.

**ok, so maybe not epic win, but I'm very proud of my hand made Jedi belt.
    Just a word on my experience with this seller from singapore.
    I was quite happy with my order (other costume based items; not a belt) and it arrived much faster than I expected.
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenric Starkindler View Post
    Just a word on my experience with this seller from singapore.
    I was quite happy with my order (other costume based items; not a belt) and it arrived much faster than I expected.
    Right. In this day and age, distance has little to do with shipping time.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    To be sure, nothing beats real leather. But I have three of the costumebase (a.k.a. http://utopiabase.com/) belts, and I think they're great. The important thing is that 1) they look good (you have to get pretty close to see they aren't real leather), and 2) they're functional. For the price and convenience, there's nothing better. As for shipping times, I've always been surprised at how quickly I get items from costumebase, but maybe that's because I live in Japan.

As for the pouches, they have limited functionality (you could put your calling cards in there, but not your cellphone), but they are screen accurate--more screen accurate, actually, than proper leather pouches. One problem, though, is that the metal clip is extremely stiff, making it hard to hook onto the belt, and if you hang them on the narrow, middle strip, they sag. But, again, you can't beat the price and convenience. I've made my own functional, semi-screen-accurate pouches from pleather, and while I think I did a good job, they still look like pleather. Making fairly screen-accurate pouches from real leather would take leather-crafting skills that are way beyond me, particularly since the props used on screen were carved or molded, then cast in resin and painted (if I recall correctly).

Someone mentioned boots. I have a pair of pleather boots I ordered from http://www.caboots.com/, and after a single day of wear, the plastic around the Achilles tendon area had worn off. Pleather boots really look like pleather, even from a distance. But I'm not yet ready to invest in a pair of proper leather boots.

With costumebase, you need to pick and choose. The plastic energy capsules are great; the metal ones aren't. In the photos, the costumes all look cheesy to me, except for the Obi-Wan, but since I have already made a jedi costume I'm quite happy with, I don't foresee seriously thinking about buying one in the near future.

Just my two cents.
    That was worth a lot more than 2 cents

$22 for a belt that looks like that... That's pretty hard to beat. (a lot better than $35 on ebay)

Thanks Matt, You may have saved me a TON of money!
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

That was worth a lot more than 2 cents

$22 for a belt that looks like that... That's pretty hard to beat. (a lot better than $35 on ebay)

Thanks Matt, You may have saved me a TON of money!
    Glad to be of help. Just note that if you order from utopiabase, rather than eBay's costumebase, shipping is not free. I don't know what shipping would cost, but it still might be cheaper than if you buy from eBay, particularly if you order multiple items. I understand people who won't settle for pleather, but for my money (literally), utopiabase's "Full Jedi Utility Belt Set" is a serious bargain. If you're making a Jedi costume, that takes care of a big chunk of it that could be a major headache if you're not experienced in leathercraft. Someday I'll make my own from real leather, but for now I'm quite happy with these belts. (But I do want to upgrade to real leather boots!)