Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Voltage regulator and heat

Default Voltage regulator and heat

planning on using a 5v 1.5A voltage regulator for the economy sound board. My current setup is 7.2V li-ion battery pack. How much heat would be generated from this step down? should I bother with a heat sink?

I would say yes. I would also make sure your regulator is rated for the 1.5A. Since your use li-ions I would suggest a capacitor setup as well

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

You should be fine with just mounting the regulator to the heatsink for the lux, you wont need a capaciter.

Why would you even need a capaciter?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

It prevents surges from the battery to the regulated board. An unexpected surge, say from another driver board ramping up for a clash effect on the lux, could fry the hasbro board.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Capacitors are generally used on analogue voltage regulators to insure that they do not oscillate and put high frequency signals on the regulated power. With short leads and lithium batteries the source impedance should be low enough there shouldn't be a problem on the input side without one. However, it never hurts to put a small electrolytic cap on the output side. I suggest that a 10uF, 25 volt tantalum is perfect for the job.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by ishtob View Post
    planning on using a 5v 1.5A voltage regulator for the economy sound board. My current setup is 7.2V li-ion battery pack. How much heat would be generated from this step down? should I bother with a heat sink?
    Why? Just use one 3.7V Li-ion and need the other crap you won't.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

well.. my li-ion battery is a pack, and i go the charger for it too, just didn't want to have to get another changer.

Everyone has different opinions, but...

I would *NOT* bolt the regulator to the LED heatsink. In this case.

Why not.

Because you're shunting off "7.2v" (8.4v) to 5v... which can be up to 3.4v (!!) of energy to be spitting away into heat! That is a FLOOD of power for the regulator to be working with--in my opinion & experience.

I would think it'd be better to regulate to 6v. It'd be a lot less heat for the thing.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by ishtob View Post
    well.. my li-ion battery is a pack, and i go the charger for it too, just didn't want to have to get another changer.
    dude, a 1aa battery pack costs less than a dollar...and electronically, it is the most efficient solution for what you want to do. If you insist on a regulator, listen to Nova and use a 6V instead of 5 to help reduce the heat bleed off.

p.s. you can still charge those trustfires one at a time on your charger...

***edit- I see, you have a pre-made pack, not trustfires! Well then, use the 6V regulator...***
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!