Thread: Obi-wan concept questions

Default Obi-wan concept questions

I've searched quiet a lot and have even found (though some of the threads here) links for designs and such for the various lightsabers used in the Star Wars films.

Several companies offer prop lightsabers, but the main problem is the lightsabers are often bulky to accomodate the electronics for the lighted blade and sound. I can't believe someone hasn't been able to create a closer approximation for one of these "movie" lightsabers.

Has anyone been successful in creating an Obi-wan (ROTS) lightsaber using a luxeon blade (or something similar)? And I don't mean converting something like this:
    http://www.ultrasabers.com/Obi_Wan_p/ufx-ow-rots.htm
    because this is one that it a litte too large a diameter, especially at the blade end, to be "film" accurate. I have one of these and it's beautiful, but not quiet what I'm looking for.

Perhaps there's no way around making such a lightsaber (with a more appropriate diameter) at this time?

My appologies for asking something that might have been asked before. I've looked around here and some other sites quiet extensively, but there's a LOT of info. In addition, many posts are old and to revisit them, I think, would annoy most more than a thread that could update folks current thoughts.

Thanks

Most folks on here use Modular hilt parts available from the store these forums are attached to, and you can get an Obi-wan based saber with those, though some folks have done movie sized ones that are truly breath taking.

Recommendation of the smiths that have done them is a breach of forum rules, so i'd recommend the search bar.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Ah, thanks. I'll keep looking around then. Perhaps someone who's made one will PM me. The search option is mostly useless in this case. I've searched various combination of obi-wan, obiwan, star wars, etc. with either no luck at all or many posts that linked to the word "star" (when that word was used in the search parameters), most of which had nothing to do with what I'm looking for OR were posts that died and no other mention or pictures were included in the poster's efforts on making such a lightsaber.

I want to make such a saber. If I end up doing what I'd like to do, then I'll post a tutorial on it (if that's permitted).

The only problem with doing the movie accurate style of that saber is making sure u have enough in the emitter for blade retention.....that is why u see so many with the wider necks...thats if your looking for LED versions....if your just looking for non working replicas....well there are pics around im sure...and i am sure they have been done....though selling anything like that you could get into trouble in many ways.

"Life tests you! Everyday it brings new chances for triumph or defeat.
    And if you pass the test, it doesn't make you a Jedi. It makes you human."

-Qui-Gon Gin

Oh, I completely understand. I think the thinnest blade here at the customsabershop is 1", so I might not be able to achieve the more screen accurate look I would like. Still, there may be ways to create an illusion that may be better than what is commercially availabe.

And I absolutely have no intention of selling anything that could even remotely be considered a Star Wars prop...because Mr. Lucas has a lot more money than me and can hire lawyers to sue me into the next century. I simply want good props for my Rebel Legion costume

The ones on here were using 3/4" blades...
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Barmic Rin View Post
    The ones on here were using 3/4" blades...
    Hmm...well, it should be doable, then!