Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: LED question?

Default LED question?

my saber is modeled after the luke skywalker saber, and i plan on mounting the LED under the copper peice and having its project throught the copper tube and into the blade. do you think that the LED will be bright enough throught the tube??

<center><font color="green">Do or Do Not, There is not try.</font id="green"></center>

[:0][?]

You doing a short blade? How small are you planning to make the copper section? How much of a blade holder are you going to have? What is the total distance between the LED lens and the blade? There are a lot of missing pieces for us to give a reasonable answer. I could sit here and say sure no problem and you build it all up with a 1/2" copper section and get P.I.S.T. cause it ends up looking dim. Give some details and we might be able to unravel this mystery[]

<center></center>

Need more input, but I can say this if you use a narrow focusing optic it will help a lot, there are some 3 degree optics out the for the luxeon leds they are normally used when lighting side glow fiber optic cable but will in this case help focus your light into a more narrow beam to shine down the neck, and if you polish the inside of the tube or place a silver tape on the inside walls it will help with light transfer.

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...
    Sith Lord
    Brotherhood of the Sith

well first off, im making the flange part the blade holder. and the overall length from the top of the LED to the blade is between 2 and 3 inches. but prolly more around 2".

<center><font color="green">Do or Do Not, There is not try.</font id="green"></center>

Ok not much but a start. So 2 inches of open space, the another 2 inches for the base of the blade to sit in the holder, so far we have buried half of the "Flare" that everyone like so much. you will really want some reflective material. The tight lens is an excellent idea as well. This sounds like it may an interesting project, I am still curious on how big you are looking to make the emitter/blade holder.

<center></center>

What is the inside diameter of the neck of the saber you have planed

Do-Clo
    Sith Lord
    Brotherhood of the Sith

ok here i been thinking and the part hasnt been milled yet so im gonna change it a little. im gonna have the inside diameter of the top hole on the flange where the blade protudes from be 1.5 inches then use a sink tube adapter to mount the blade holder. sound like a good idea?? reply asap cuz its being started tommarow.

Sounds like it should work well and you will have a strong saber that you will be able to duel with without fear of breaking.

Do-Clo
    Sith Lord
    Brotherhood of the Sith

that was the plan, and thank for the help. but do you kno how many lumens the Luxeon III Star produces?

I put a basic outline pic of my saber in my album. im also thinking of a way to mount a cooling fan, with a completely different switch from the blade. the small decreative led's will indicate if the cooling system is on or off. the on/off switch mounted on the bottom will make it pretty interesting because i can bump it anywhere and it will turn on. (kinda handy)