Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Possible SaberSound damage?

The SS board does not have any method on board for regulating current to the LED. You'd really want to test the output of the board with your battery pack and buy an appropriate resistor so you don't smoke your LED. It's unfortunate, but it's apparently what's happening.

You don't need to buy the 3/4 mirrored tip for your blade. You can do what a lot of us do, and scratch away the reflective film from the backside in the center to allow light to shine all the way into the tip.

Good news!

Board was fine. Operated as intended.

Sweet. Can we see a video of it in action?
    ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE!
    Canto III of Dante's Inferno

Beware the Power of The Pope!

I have been thinking about getting one of these soundboards. Could you give a little reveiw on your experiance with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Zion View Post
    I have been thinking about getting one of these soundboards. Could you give a little reveiw on your experiance with these.
    I'm just about finishing up my first saber with it. I'll get up pics and a video soon.

I'll tell you what I know. It's a very nice board for the price. Compact. Wire soldering points are great and unobtrusive. Nice sound. Loud. It'll make a clash in very quick succession if continuously hit.

Now the (semi) bad points. During the idle hum there's a repetitious click where the hum font repeats. Not very noticeable. But it's there. There's also a swing sound immediately following the extension sound when you power up after you insert the batteries. Basically the same thing that happens with the Ultrasound board.

Now here's where it gets a little odd. The board is very sensitive to make a swing sound if the board itself is tapped with your finger. Tap it harder, and you'll get a clash. That's great for swing detection, right? Well that's the weird part. Despite being as sensitive as it is when the board's "in your hand", it takes a mighty demonstrative movement once in the hilt to get a swing to register. It's almost as if the board is set to detect a certain level of shock as a swing and another level as an actual clash, instead of actual movement to register a swing. Does any of that make sense?

To make it detect a swing better, I positioned the board the farthest from where I would normally hold the hilt. This way it maximizes the amount of centrifugal force and movement felt.

Just be aware the board doesn't regulate current in any way. What you put in is what will come out. So use the appropriate puck or resistor.

Sounds good so far! i currently wondering howw to put sond in my hilt right now.... if i do its going to be a TIGHT fit. i may just use the hasbro Economy board for know. but still thats a differnt thread i will post later(mabey still not sure if i should go with sound or not.....)
    ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE!
    Canto III of Dante's Inferno

Beware the Power of The Pope!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurnick View Post
    I'm just about finishing up my first saber with it. I'll get up pics and a video soon.

I'll tell you what I know. It's a very nice board for the price. Compact. Wire soldering points are great and unobtrusive. Nice sound. Loud. It'll make a clash in very quick succession if continuously hit.

Now the (semi) bad points. During the idle hum there's a repetitious click where the hum font repeats. Not very noticeable. But it's there. There's also a swing sound immediately following the extension sound when you power up after you insert the batteries. Basically the same thing that happens with the Ultrasound board.

Now here's where it gets a little odd. The board is very sensitive to make a swing sound if the board itself is tapped with your finger. Tap it harder, and you'll get a clash. That's great for swing detection, right? Well that's the weird part. Despite being as sensitive as it is when the board's "in your hand", it takes a mighty demonstrative movement once in the hilt to get a swing to register. It's almost as if the board is set to detect a certain level of shock as a swing and another level as an actual clash, instead of actual movement to register a swing. Does any of that make sense?

To make it detect a swing better, I positioned the board the farthest from where I would normally hold the hilt. This way it maximizes the amount of centrifugal force and movement felt.

Just be aware the board doesn't regulate current in any way. What you put in is what will come out. So use the appropriate puck or resistor.
    I just got my board from saberforge. I am really disapointed. First of all it took him 2 weeks to get it to me even though he had them in stock. Second, I hooked everything up correctly and it just sounds like the swoosh is going crazy even with the board not moveing at all. The idel hum starts for a sec then carzy sounds. And the funniest part about it is the damn thing does not even fit into the hilt that saberforge himself made. I would advise people to thiink about what they want to do. Cheap price usally means cheap product and that has been my experiance with Saberforge. I will post up some vids to show what I am talking about. I would have much rather saved some money and got a US. Tim is the man. I have a lot of respect for some one that can run a business as well as he does.
    Last edited by Darth Zion; 11-13-2009 at 06:00 AM.

I didn't think that the sabersound flickered the LED. Perhaps the fact that yours if flickering is a telling sign of a power supply issue that might be causing the problem. Have you tried a different battery setup? Or tried it without the LED?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Zion View Post
    I just got my board from saberforge. I am really disapointed. First of all it took him 2 weeks to get it to me even though he had them in stock. Second, I hooked everything up correctly and it just sounds like the swoosh is going crazy even with the board not moveing at all. The idel hum starts for a sec then carzy sounds. And the funniest part about it is the damn thing does not even fit into the hilt that saberforge himself made. I would advise people to thiink about what they want to do. Cheap price usally means cheap product and that has been my experiance with Saberforge. I will post up some vids to show what I am talking about. I would have much rather saved some money and got a US. Tim is the man. I have a lot of respect for some one that can run a business as well as he does.
    Too low of voltage or low battery will cause the continuous swing sound. Board requires at least 6v.

The same thing happened to me.