Thread: drilling switch hole for sink tube 1.25"

Default drilling switch hole for sink tube 1.25"

this may be a stupid question and/or has been answered before, but i'd just like some clarification.

very soon here i will be building my first sink tube saber. it all seems very straight forward, that is until i need to drill the switch hole. i'll be ordering the p4 LED kit from TCSS, if that means anything. i've seen them drilled into cheap washer-style pommels, which I think is a good idea, but i don't like the look. i'd prefer the switch to be right up under the blade holder/heatsink. So what exactly is the method to getting a clean and exact hole to pop the screw in?

once again, i apologize for being a noob and asking a question that's probably been answered. i just didnt know what to search for

It really is just a case of drilling a hole where you want your switch to go. I tend to tidy it up with a dremel or something after drilling. The switch in the P4 Kit is easy to install just push it up through the hole you have drilled and do up the nut. Make sure you put your switch hole in the right place, too close to the blade holder and the wiring can be tricky. Best of Luck

oh i see. thanks for the confirmation! i'm just a little apprehensive about all this.

I would recomend a step bit if you can swing the cost, but if cost is the issue get a bit set and work from a small bit up to the desired size, but a step bit is the best course of action. You would have to use the larger one though because the thinner ones wont get the hole large enough before hitting the back of the tube. Normal drill bits will have a tendancy to give u an oblong hole.

Kinda like these:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...yword=step+bit

Edit: changed linky to show entire page of bits. You will want more of the short squat type.
    Last edited by Ambo; 09-12-2009 at 08:13 AM.

"Life tests you! Everyday it brings new chances for triumph or defeat.
    And if you pass the test, it doesn't make you a Jedi. It makes you human."

-Qui-Gon Gin

i see, thanks for the tip! that's a little pricy for me personally to be drilling just one hole with though. Maybe I'll be able to find one lying around my basement. I find all sorts of crap down there.

if you have a harbor freight near you house you can get a step bit pretty cheap especially if they have them on sale.

click here for a link to some they have listed on their site.

I got the 3 bit set and have used it several times on sink tubes and MHS pieces and they work great.

The problem with using a regular drill bit on a sink tube is sometimes it will bite and tear up the tube if you are not really careful. The step bits makes it much easier to do those cuts without messing up the tube.

now THATS a better price. i'll check around a few stores tonight for one. thanks for the help guys! once i've gotten this thing all put together i'll put some pics up.

You might not want to put the switch too close to the heat sink as the heat sink might get hot.
    It shouldn't get that hot, but just in case, I usually leave 1/2" - 1" between the two.
    Yoda always said there would be days like this.

alright I'll keep that in mind. I just want to avoid having the switch near the middle of the hilt, i feel like that'll just get in the way.