Thread: Shroud Chrome/Steel Tubing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shroud Chrome/Steel Tubing

If I was to do a shroud/overlay over stock MHS parts I need a 1.5" tube. My question is does it need to be 1.5" OD or ID? The tube on this site has a wall of .05 wall thickness, would it still fit? I couldn't find anything at Lowe's or Home depot so If this won't work please let me know where you buy yours/what to search to find my own.

Thanks again guys!

1.5 OD sink tube usually fits if you get the small gague ..

I believe MHS parts to be around 1.45 OD.. so material with an ID (Inner Diameter) would work.

Most people ask Tim to machine the MHS parts to about 1.43 or because thich guage brass tubing and popular aluminum tubing is about that ID

be sure to use 22 gauge sinktube and not the 20 that I see a lot which won't fit.

The tube there doesn't show a guage but says it has a .05 wall thickness, with a 1.45 OD for MHS parts that should fit just barely right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    The tube there doesn't show a guage but says it has a .05 wall thickness, with a 1.45 OD for MHS parts that should fit just barely right?
    It will fit just fine....plumbing pipe sizes refer to the outside diameter of the pipes to ensure a uniform standard for fitting two different brands or types to each other. 1.5" in this case is the outside diameter, so it should have an inside diameter of 1.45" if the wall thickness is .05".

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thanks Jay-Gon! This from the Tubing overlay Master...I feel privileged!
    Last edited by Shadar Al'Niende; 09-11-2009 at 10:52 AM.