Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shroud Chrome/Steel Tubing

Default Shroud Chrome/Steel Tubing

If I was to do a shroud/overlay over stock MHS parts I need a 1.5" tube. My question is does it need to be 1.5" OD or ID? The tube on this site has a wall of .05 wall thickness, would it still fit? I couldn't find anything at Lowe's or Home depot so If this won't work please let me know where you buy yours/what to search to find my own.

Thanks again guys!

1.5 OD sink tube usually fits if you get the small gague ..

I believe MHS parts to be around 1.45 OD.. so material with an ID (Inner Diameter) would work.

Most people ask Tim to machine the MHS parts to about 1.43 or because thich guage brass tubing and popular aluminum tubing is about that ID

be sure to use 22 gauge sinktube and not the 20 that I see a lot which won't fit.

The tube there doesn't show a guage but says it has a .05 wall thickness, with a 1.45 OD for MHS parts that should fit just barely right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    The tube there doesn't show a guage but says it has a .05 wall thickness, with a 1.45 OD for MHS parts that should fit just barely right?
    It will fit just fine....plumbing pipe sizes refer to the outside diameter of the pipes to ensure a uniform standard for fitting two different brands or types to each other. 1.5" in this case is the outside diameter, so it should have an inside diameter of 1.45" if the wall thickness is .05".

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thanks Jay-Gon! This from the Tubing overlay Master...I feel privileged!
    Last edited by Shadar Al'Niende; 09-11-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

be careful, If you plan on painting the hilt you may have a problem getting the shroud to slid over especially if you use more than 2 coats. I used krylon paint 3 coats and couldnt get the shroud over without stripping the paint off. I finally stripped it off with wd40, slid the shroud on and thentook alot of time and care to restincle it and paint it with the shroud on

You just replied to a post from September of 2009. I am sure they are long past this discussion by now

I miss Shadar...

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Wow, yeah, this was an old thread to pick to respond to.

What happened to Shadar?

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS