Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My new MHS "Divum Insisto" **Work in Progress**

Default My new MHS "Divum Insisto" **Work in Progress**

Hey everyone. I've been working on my second MHS saber. This one's called "Divum Insisto." It's the second saber I've made myself. It was inspired by Qui-gon, Obi-wan, and Luke ROTJ. I'm pretty excited with how it's coming along. I've been practicing with my dremel and this saber has really proved to be a challenge for me. It's my first double overlay. It's 11 1/4" from end to end.

I wanted to post progress pics up showing what I've finished so far. I'll be adding accent leds to various places on the hilt and I've got a machined red knob on its way. I'm hoping (like everyone else) to get my hands on a CF when Erv releases his next month. I'll keep this thread updated as I get more done.

Here are the parts I used:

BH-18 (powder coated by Tim)
    ribbed extension (pc'd by Tim)
    5" double female extension (custom grooves and pc'ing by Tim)
    Pommel 4 (pc'd by Tim)
    TCCS Sinktube
    Aluminum tube
    Vintage Graflex clamp

Here are some pics:

Here's one to gauge the size.

Sorry for the half a million pics, but I'm pretty excited. (In case you couldn't tell)

I'll start adding accent leds, button head screws, the red knob, etc. soon. Stay tuned!!!

Well let me be the 1st to say EXCELLENT WORK!
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Dang that is nice. how long it take you to make that? I hope mine comes out as good when i finish it.Great Job.
    The Dark Side Feels Good.
    I Love The Power.
    You Cant Stop Me.
    I Will Kill You...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's some nice work on the overlays.

But the Graflex clamp kind of ruins the whole saber for me, it looks very out of place and I don't think it belongs on this saber.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I say if your going to have accent leds put them under the clamp and use a bouble strip, its got clean lines so becarefull what you add to it cause it could ruin it.

And I kinda agree with jlo on the clamp, It does look out of place but yet it doesent.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

i have to agree with J-lo on this one. I love that over lay but the clamp makes it look really off. over all A+ work.
    ...YUP!

Thanks for the comments and critiques guys. I actually like the clamp. It really fits for me.

"Darth Astronimus - Dang that is nice. how long it take you to make that? I hope mine comes out as good when i finish it.Great Job."

^^^ Thanks. The overlays took me a while to do. I was successful on my first attempt, but it took a good couple of hours of filing with various jewelry hand files to get it to this point. I'm really happy with the way it turned out though.

Here was my original design from the MHS builder.

It's pretty close. I made a few changes to it, like the second overlay, but it's still basically how I'd originally planned. I actually like it better with the second overlay. A lot better.

Overlays are so very good. where is the switch going to go? in the clamp? I like the Graflx clamp, but it's odd being so low, up against the pommel. might be more aesthetically pleasing if you added a gear or something after the clamp. But, of coarse, the most import thing is that you like it. And you did a killer job!

Quote Originally Posted by JamoUp View Post
    Overlays are so very good. where is the switch going to go? in the clamp? I like the Graflx clamp, but it's odd being so low, up against the pommel. might be more aesthetically pleasing if you added a gear or something after the clamp. But, of coarse, the most import thing is that you like it. And you did a killer job!

Thanks! I plan on getting a CF for it. I'd like to put the activation switch up near the emitter, like in the render, and the auxiliary switch would be behind the graflex lever. If I can't get the switch to work up near the emitter then I'd put a momentary switch beneath the card on the graflex clamp like I have in my ROTJ V2.

I like the clamp being so low. It seems right to me. It also makes the saber easier for me to hold.

Looks great, but it does bring up a question that pertains to my own upcoming saber as well. How do you feel, practically, about having the grip where you do(lower to mid hilt)? My original hilt design called for the same thing, but it seemed to me that it would be a bit awkward in action, as neither hand would actually be utilizing the grip fully. This may, however, be peculiar to my use, as I am accustomed to kendo, where the left hand needs to be at the very bottom of the hilt in order to provide maximum leverage. Still, thought I'd ask.

Still, looking forward to seeing the end result.