Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Purple Blade Color?

Question Purple Blade Color?

Before I get pummeled, let it be known that i did some "searching" and some "looking" before asking this question. I know the info is out there but i could only find references to it, not the actual threads.

I want to have a bright (same brightness as Luxeon III) Purple blade. I know i could use a white with a filter but am afraid that will dim the blade substantially. I did not see a Purple option on the Luxeon III, so am I stuck with using a filter to achieve that "Windu Purple?" If so is a P4 enough to achieve the brightness i'm looking for? Can I run a P4 off the electronics i was originally going to order for my luxeon III?

Even if you only have time to post search keywords that will help me find what i want, or links to the information that is great. I am willing to do some reading rather than have the info handed to me. Thanks in advance guys...

I really am standing amongst giants

most people who do not want a washed out purple..or a 'pinky' purple.. use a RGB led.. you may also want to check out the P5's..

I read reference to an RGB Led here but could not find one in the shop... are these bought elsewhere?

Also, rgb and led are too common to use the forums search function on. I could not find anything in the obvious spots (led blade threads) Any idea on where I could find the info i'm looking for on those? I would like to do some research as I assume (i know nothing about RGB LED's mind you) that you would need some kind of circuit board to control the level of each color?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There are no purple high powered LEDs. Due to the way the colors are made for the dies, that color has not been achieved.

The only way to make a purple blade, aside from using a purple filter with a white LED, is to mix blue and red, which has been done using an RGB LED and not using the green die.

Not something I'd suggest for a novice.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Once again, Jedi-Loreen you come to my rescue!

So If i understand correctly, an RGB is 3 Led's? One with Red one with Green and one with Blue dye? Or is it a single LED colored using a red and blue dye?

EDIT *and yes, most likely I will stick to my royal blue Lux III for my first blade...Novice I am, Learn I must.*

well.. the term LED is kinda thrown around 'lightly'...

for example.. the LUXIII you buy in the store is 1 led..

an RGB, is also 1 LED..

each LED has one dome... and under it a diode (where the light comes from more or less) LOL

now in an RGB LED...under the dome there is 3 diodes.. 1 for red..1 for green. and 1 for blue..

there are many ways to wire them up to do differnent tasks.. and as mentioned...not for the faint of heart or noobies!

usually there is a "POT" (Potentiometer) that is used to 'dial in' the correct shade(s) one desires..

Yes because purple filters have a relatively low light transmission even the excellent very bright 240 lumen P4 white LED available at TCSS is not entirely ideal with filters imo...though that IS a better option than with the other whites available here if you decide to try it.

A true RGB led with independantly addressable red, green and blue dies under the dome with the red and blue dies wired is a much better choice for achieving a bright purple...unfortunately they aren't available @ TCSS though hopefully Strydur will stock one someday.

You might want to talk to Roys Blues [Jango Fett on FX-Sabers] since he knows a lot about RGB purple particularly the RGB Seoul P5 wired for a very nice purple.

But as JLo says thats a more complicated approach so if you are new I'd still try a P4 white available here @ TCSS...then get a Lee filters swatchbook which can produce better purples than discs, while not entirely ideal imo its not that bad either so worth a try imo.

You guys are the best! Thank you!

are there pictures in the blade color thread that you know of? I would like to see the brightness...
    Last edited by Shadar Al'Niende; 09-06-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

In the white blade color thread, I posted this picture with some Lee filters and a white P4. I got an "OK" purple with the Fuchsia Pink filter. It's a little dim, but not too bad. It will do until you figure out how to wire a RGB.

Obi-Dar is right...one of the great things about the TCSS MHS hilt system is that since its modular you can build an "ok" purple saber using P4 with filters now and when you feel ready to step up to RGB it will be easily upgradeable...this is even easier if you wire the components with quick-disconnect clips.