Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Focus 2.0

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Default Focus 2.0

I just posted this in the formal MHS Gallery, but I thought I should post it in the open threads, in case anyone has any questions or comments. I actually finished this saber a while ago, but I hadn't got around to posting it here yet.

This is the saber I call Focus. It was my first MHS saber, and it's still my favorite. I made and posted pictures of this saber about a year and a half ago. (It's on page 7 of this gallery.)

Here's a close-up of the switches.

This saber was designed with two switches, and it was always my intention to put a Crystal Focus in it, but I couldn't get my hands on one until this spring. I ran it on a 1A buck puck until then.

Once I got a CF, I set about upgrading Focus, but I really thought I could do better than the crude switch plate I made. I also wanted to design it with easier access to the electronics. This is what I came up with. I call it Focus 2.0

I wanted to keep the appearance of the saber the same, but make a sliding, removable grip.

Recessed charge port. Picked up that method from Jay-gon Jinn.

Originally, I had strips of neoprene foam in the grooves of the blade holder. I pulled it all out and painted the grooves. It looks 1000 times better.

Close up of the new and improved switches.

The finished product.

Here's a video showing it in action.
    http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=100_2234.flv

Very nice!
    I quite like the use of the zoom ring on the Bladeholder.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Nice! I like the removable grip with easy access to the sound board. That's pretty cool.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Very nice saber. What is that grip material exactly?
    Cheers!
    Lonewind

Fantastic upgrade, well done
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

very cool

I like the design a lot.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Thanks, folks! I've done three sabers now with sliding, removable grips like that. It makes it really easy to install the electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewind View Post
    Very nice saber. What is that grip material exactly?
    Leather. I got a leather jacket from a thrift store that was going to be thrown out because one arm was wrecked. I cut out all the panels of leather, and I've used it on a few things. It's nice stuff to work with.

Banned Sith Lord

brilliant set up. man that is a very nice saber. ill need to look into that recessed recharge port

About time you finish teh redo on that one.

Looks great!
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics