Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vandal switch with bezel in a v-grooved extension

Default Vandal switch with bezel in a v-grooved extension

I Hope this is the right subforum for this question. As thetitle says :
    Is it possible to mount the vandal switch / bezel combination in the top of a v-grooved extension?

Thanks
    If there's a bright centre in the universe, I'm on the planet that's farthest from...

I'm assuming the "top" of the v-grooved section is the outside, not the threads.
    Yes, you can.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Sorry for being a bit vague.
    With the top I ment the part directly in front of the blade holder.
    Would there be enough room between where the threads end and the grooves start ? Or would the heatsink be in the way maybe ?
    If there's a bright centre in the universe, I'm on the planet that's farthest from...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You can't mount a switch that high, the heat sink will be in the way.

Take a look at the hilt section photos in the Store, that's as high as you can mount a switch under a blade holder.

I don't know if you really can mount an AV switch in that extension, even with the bezel, that section has a smaller ID than the regular hilts and extensions. I think the bezel was made to raise the AV switch up for use in those regular extensions and hilts so there'd be a little room underneath, without having to buy the box designed for it. That's for the lighted ones. I forgot that the non-lighted switches were shorter, those look like they should work.

Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 08-31-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Sounds like this would need some custom work then. Having an extension with a longer top part made to clear the heatsink. There are shorter lighted vandal switches made as wel IIRC. But these are very hard to find.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Tim just added some shorter, non-lighted AV switches to the Store.

But they are in nickel and gold finish.

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Sounds like this would need some custom work then. Having an extension with a longer top part made to clear the heatsink.
    That wouldn't actually work, if you're saying what I think you are. The heat sink is meant to be sandwiched between the extension or hilt piece and the blade holder. The bottom of the blade holder also has a lip that acts like both a blade stop, and holds the optics in place on the LED and heat sink. If you made the top of the extension longer, you'd need a way to raise up the heat sink so it would still be sandwiched by the blade holder. Get that spacing wrong and you either have loose, rattling optics, or a crushed lens holder.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 09-01-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Why not use a slider and and hide it say in a groove, hidden switches are cool.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Banned Sith Lord

i plan on just throwing my gold plated antivandel with the bezzel right below the threads below the choke on my V grooved when i get around to buying it.

You could ask tim to make you the v grooved section without the top groove, while maintaining the inner dimension, thread size etc... just a thought...

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

That's almost what I was thinking of when I mentioned some custom work being done. Thanks for putting it into words for me.