Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: blade construction?

Yes PolyC means polycabonite. And if you buy them from Tim, they are 1/8" walled and can definitely take a beating.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Hey all,
    back to the gluing process...

What adhesive exactly do you use to glue the tip onto the poly C? will modelling glue work (the kind you brush on)?

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madcow

Hey all,
    back to the gluing process...

What adhesive exactly do you use to glue the tip onto the poly C? will modelling glue work (the kind you brush on)?

MC

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Weld-On, best stuff. It's a clear liquid. You hold the tip onto the blade and take a brush (natural hair) or applicator (some type of syringe or squirt bottle will small needle) to apply it. It only takes about a drop for it to go around the tip by capillary action.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Thanks,

Weld-on...

Next question - Where can I buy it? I looked at my local hardware store - nope. Any ideas?

MC

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'd look at art supply stores or hobby shops. I get mine at an educational supply store since it popular with architecture (I'm one) and art students for all their projects that involve plastics.

<center>

i never thought to look there. i ordered mine online from a place. and looks like if i make another blade, i'll have to get more. i had the lid tight and its all gone. it evaporated on me. 15 bucks gone up in gas, lol

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

I had a hard time finding weld-on as well. I ended up using an epoxy I found at 7th ave. auto parts that was made to bond plastics. I had doubts about it because I read a lot of posts about epoxy being no good. That was until one of my friends decided to bash the blade on concrete, right on the tip! The tip shattered, after all its only acrylic. But oddly enough, the tip shattered AROUND the epoxy. Meaning the section of tip that was held on by the epoxy stayed in tact and the rest flew to areas unknown[]. I have been quite pleased with it.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

what was the name of it scaarmor? if available around here i might try that out.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I bet many glues would work fine but weld-on doesn't add any thickness to it and glues are not completely clear. Being a liquid it literally bonds the two plastics.

<center>

It is Permatex brand-Perma Poxy-5 min. Plastic Weld. Its a regular 2 part epoxy but its made to bond plastics.

Cain