Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Joe Jedi and Red Lux III Setup Questions

well if you get a good one you will get more current out of it.

I had a 616 board that put out 715ma on a red lux III. That was on weak batteries.

Unfortunately I replaced the batteries the next day (4 fresh AAA batteries) and blew one of the transistors on the board.

here is a pic I took because I was amazed that the 616 board put out so much current.

Now still being half of what the red lux III wanted it wasn't running at optimal but the brightness was the same (noticed no difference after putting that led on a US 2.1) for the first part of the battery life at least.

I built a P4 green saber for my friend and he didn't want to put much into it so I put a 616 board to drive it and the brightness is just fine (didn't check the current though) with a decent run time.

Since the transistor was surface mount I couldn't find the exact one so I just put one in from a device that was the same as far as being a PNP transistor (not sure about the other ratings were). The board was not able to get above 300ma after that.

I know none of this really helps but just throwing my experience with the 616 out there.

Everybody always wants the brightest possible blade but unless you have something to directly compare it to, like another saber with the same LED that is driven to the optimal specs , you probably wont know the difference anyway.

so many sayings come to mind......

"The grass is always greener...."
    "what you dont know wont hurt you....."
    "A bird in the hand is worth...."

You get the idea.

So Zook, and Arm, would you suggest I multimeter the board when it arrives with 4 x fresh AAAs to see the output, just to be on the safe side?
    Momma in law: If this printer keeps printing the same thing I'm going to spit nickles!

Me: if you start spitting nickles I'm coming over with a bucket!

there is nothing to worry about, that board cant put out enough voltage or amperage to hurt a lux 3. if you want to check it for your own knowlege it cant hurt (as long as you know what your doing with a multimeter)

Just for the record Arm.. yup 350mA is the Joe jedi!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Thanks for gettin my back Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Just for the record Arm.. yup 350mA is the Joe jedi!
    except for my special one that got 715 ma before blowing up

Sweet, mine should be here on Monday!
    Momma in law: If this printer keeps printing the same thing I'm going to spit nickles!

Me: if you start spitting nickles I'm coming over with a bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    except for my special one that got 715 ma before blowing up
    What thhhhhheee....????
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    What thhhhhheee....????
    dont know how or why but the picture in the post above is of my DMM reading 715mA from a 616 board and red lux III. It worked fine all that night in the saber with the low batteries but the next morning when I put in fresh batteries in it fried one of the transistors (the first one in contact with input voltage) after a few seconds. I checked the current several times because I couldn't believe the output it was getting after all I had read about them.