Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ComdtJustin's Sinktube saber

Default ComdtJustin's Sinktube saber

Hola all,

I hope this is the right place to put this.. I figure I'll be chronicling the process of my first build, so what better place than the Build Forum?

I hit the hardware store today and got what I found necessary for a nice looking but cheap lightsaber hilt.

Here's what I picked up today:

12" length of 1" PVC tubing
    1-1/2" Chrome Sink Tailpiece
    1" Coupler
    1" End Cap

I just hope this comes together the way I want it to! I may end up cutting the tubes down to about 10" or so, but I'm not sure yet...

More to come in a few days!

Good luck with your build. Looking forward to your build progress pics.

Just take your time and enjoy the process.
    Cheers!
    Lonewind

alright! I see you are motvated! Take some progress pics too!
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Well, just wanted to say I'm still alive. Gotta get a hold of my mother's dremel and figure out exactly which of my designs I want to make a reality. Lol.. Should hopefully have the dremel tonight, so I can start work soon.

This is planned to be a 1-1/2 hand hilt, so it'll be a bit shorter than the 12" average I've seen round here. But it'll still be awesome!

**REMEMBER** cut in the direction the wheel spins, make a decent pattern and tape it down really well, cut inside the lines and sand out the rest(it takes more time but less screw up's) also ALWAYS always wear eye protection.. now get out there and sabersmith...
    good luck
    ~dave

Alright. Did a bunch of work last night, took some photos. I'll be posting them soon as I get home from work, which is about 8 hours from now. Lol. So far, it's coming along swimmingly.

Aight, here are the photos!

PVC tube, cut to size and painted a silvery tone

The emitter shroud being primed

The emitter shroud after painting black

The pommel, with a slight bevel

and the chrome sink tube with the cutout layed out
    Last edited by ComdtJustin; 08-28-2009 at 06:06 PM.

And now the cut piece of sink tube:

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you going to sand that down and make it smooth??? Or are you going for a steam punk look???
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Well, as much as I enjoy steampunk, I'm doing an honest saber. I haven't filed the edges down yet, but I definitely plan to.

Welp, I skipped a couple steps-worth of documenting, but I got the whole hilt put together minus electronics. Gotta wait for the cash for that. Also, upon putting the pommel on (since it's just a PVC endcap), I realized that I didn't leave a way to replace batteries without a LOT of effort. So I'm kind of in a debate on whether or not I should even try...?

Anyway, on to the photos!

It also doesn't have any of the holes drilled for the button/blade retention screw yet, but it will.

What do you guys think? Not so bad for a scratch build by a noob, eh?