Thread: Making an electronics sled out of a double female section

Default Making an electronics sled out of a double female section

Hi guys,

Newbie here, currently still in the planning stages for a first build. After having done a lot of reading on here my plans are taking more and more shape.

One of the many fine sabers here that inspires me a lot is the one Mad Hatter made a while ago.
    I'm thinking of trying to make something similar but much simpler, that I can expand on with sound/accent leds etc. in the future. I do have my mind set on a 10W Ledengin led. Because of the preferred led I figure I'll be needing a 7.2 volt 18650 Li-ion pack. As I've read numerous times, it won't fit an MHS hilt in a side by side configuration.

Looking at Mad Hatter's design (among others) and the MHS OD and battery pack dimensions, got me thinking. What if I would make an electronics sled out of a double female section of an appropriate length by cutting two large "windows" in the sides? This would keep the threaded sections in position and secure, while allowing the battery pack and future electronics to find a place in there (sticking out of the "windows" where needed). A piece of 1.5" sink tube could then slide over the female section to cover these "windows".

Could this work? Or am I better of with a piece of sink tube and some sink tube adapters?

(never mind the chamber in the rendering)

Thanks guys
    Last edited by winger; 08-19-2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added rendering
    If there's a bright centre in the universe, I'm on the planet that's farthest from...

Your idea most definitely works. You could cut a large enough section out of the double ended female section to access the essentials. Check out plecterlabs.com for what Erv did to an Obi TPM saber in his gallery section. Similar idea used where he can expose a sweet looking crystal chamber.

Great! Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.
    If there's a bright centre in the universe, I'm on the planet that's farthest from...

Also, one of Armonfire's sabers, 'Fury', has a similar setup. Its main hilt piece has a section cut out and covered with a plate. The electronics are situated right under it. It worked really well and looks nice too. If you cant find it in our forums here, check out Randy's website. There is a link to it under his sig. He has albums for all of his sabers

...I like AoF's website, lotsa great sabers & projects to drool over.
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

Once again... Thanks so much for the tip.