Thread: Heat and voltage regulators?

Default Heat and voltage regulators?

Ok I got an idea and would like some imput.

MR/HFX board+6v regulator with a 14-15v battery pack(li-ions).

How much heat woud the regulator give off with that much extra voltage being regulated down?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

it would DEFINATLY need its own heatsink id say.. and terms like "how much".. are not in defined terms.. if i say "alot" does that mean to much.. or not? i have no idea, only way to really know is to do the math and even then it will say in terms of temp's but not taking into account the enclosure... so even the math wont get you all the way there.. only way to know is to bench test it.. what if it works for awhile but melts something after say 20min continuous usage?

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre View Post
    Ok I got an idea and would like some imput.

MR/HFX board+6v regulator with a 14-15v battery pack(li-ions).

How much heat woud the regulator give off with that much extra voltage being regulated down?
    Would you want to do that in order to extend battery life? If so, it doesn't seem the best way to go about it, if you are planning to use 14500-type 900mAh batteries. If you want to extend battery life in the most efficient way possible, I would suggest a single UltraFire BRC 18650 3000mAh 3.7V li-ion. They're bigger than the 14500s, but one of these is a lot smaller than four 14500s, and you don't have to worry about voltage regulators or heat.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Cause its for a lede10W with pucks and MR/HFX card. I dont like the idea of setting up more than one pack and having to charge more than one pack at a time.

It could cause problems in the charging process, remember its MAH for runtimes not large amounts of voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre View Post
    Cause its for a lede10W with pucks and MR/HFX card. I dont like the idea of setting up more than one pack and having to charge more than one pack at a time.

It could cause problems in the charging process, remember its MAH for runtimes not large amounts of voltage.
    Ah. You should have told us that in the first post. Yeah, 3.7V won't light your 10-watt LedEngin. You could try having the FX board hooked into just the first battery in the pack. I've never tried this myself, but I've seen that method mentioned numerous times on the forum. I would not trust a typical voltage regulator to handle an input of 14.4V.
    There's always a bigger fish.

I've used a 6v regulator on two 14500's going into an MR board, but what you're talking about may be a horse of a different color...
    When it was handling 7.4v-8.1v, the regulator put off no heat that I can think of.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Well fender answered my question, use another heatsink and bolt the reg to it.

Im not sure, but you could try do downgrade the voltage in steps, like 14V regulator, 10V reg., 8V reg. etc....

Its worth a shot...

mTm

Fender bender already answered my question, heatsinking the regulator.

done move on to the next one.