Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: lightsaber fighting club

Default lightsaber fighting club

Hello Folks.
    I am a high school saber coach, I am starting a lightsaber fighting club and
    saber trick spinning academy in IL n Wis.
    I am going to use armor from hocky and other sports to protect everyone,
    kind of like kendo. I have about 50 kids so far signed up. we will start after this season ends in Feb. We will use the U.S. fencing rules for saber But
    no hitting with the point just controlled blade hits above the waist.
    ( The Point hits way too hard ) so far the fights we have had between my students are #1 very controlled, safe, Fun, and easy to see the hits and awarded the point. We fence to the first 5 point winner. we fence till a hit then we stop reset and go again till someone gets 5 points Just like our sport saber fencing. We have 7 girls fencing too and they can beat the guys too.
    I was concerned at first that the slashs would be too hard but its not
    any power swing are parryed easyly and the repost fast so hard hitters are put away fast.
    the armor is coming on line as we find better stuff that fits to this sport.
    hockey full face mask the long kind, neck protector, chest and arm armor,
    field hockey gloves, teeth guard, and cup. the referee call the match and stops it award the points. We have been useing the right of way rule.
    but may change it to a simo no point our both get points.
    not sure yet

well that was long sorry
    we are going to use the e series line for now.
    I hope to get up to speed on bulding LS and stuff as we get past the season.

I have seen the fighting on youtube its not safe no protection and sloppy.
    I hope we can get other clubs up and go to other clubs for a match.
    we have 4 sets of armor so far.
    i will post some photos soon the white armor is very cool looks like stormtroops and the black looks like vader.
    Oh the girls are very aggressive.

well if you have any ideas on any part of this let me know.
    thanks
    WT

Wow! I wish I had a class like this in school. It's perfect for kids as they have a lot of aggression that needs to come out.
    This is a healthy way to release it. Especially if two kids want to fight, just have them engage in a saber fight.

Oops, sorry. I forgot. 1st rule of Lightsaber Fighting Club, don't talk about Lightsaber Fighting Club.

Best of luck W.Tiger. Very cool idea.
    Yoda always said there would be days like this.

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

Wicked awesome!!! I was considering doing something like that here in IA. Have you experienced any difficulties while doing so?
    Be forgiving of the past, hopeful of the future and mindful of the present.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Fighting with aggression in a class like this is BAD. It leads to loss of control. I suppose if you allow people to do that, you need armor.

If, however, you can teach people to use control and use only 50% power, then you don't need armor.

I've been fighting in a group for 4 years now and we don't use armor because we don't use full power. We get minor bruises now and then, but we've never had any serious injuries.
    And we don't allow head or crotch shots.

If we see someone getting overly aggressive or losing control, we make them sit out so they won't be a danger to themselves or anyone else.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 09-13-2009 at 10:03 PM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Yes, I agree with J-Lo. Teaching those kids control should be the first thing you do. If not, you are going to have 50 kids swinging lightsabers like they are baseball bats. Control...you must learn control!

I completely agree with J-lo!
    ...YUP!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Fighting with aggression in a class like this is BAD. It leads to loss of control. I suppose if you allow people to do that, you need armor.

If, however, you can teach people to use control and use only 50% power, then you don't need armor.

I've been fighting in a group for 4 years now and we don't use armor because we don't use full power. We get minor bruises now and then, but we've never had any serious injuries.
    And we don't allow head or crotch shots.

If we see someone getting overly aggressive or losing control, we make them sit out so they won't be a danger to themselves or anyone else.
    I've gotta explain this to my buddy I fight with...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Banned Sith Lord

this kinda sounds like my highschool club except i help them build MHS sabers for fun then we use random sabers stunt sabers and CarbonFiber blades to film our choreographed duels

Notice that Whitetiger stated that he is a high school fencing coach, not a high school student. He probably knows what he's doing in regards to having kids fence. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by ARKM; 09-15-2009 at 02:41 AM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

My comment about letting aggressive kids fight was more directed toward Darth Hideous' comment.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!