Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A new hope

i'd suggest using pvc piping so that if your son manages to pull the saber down and it falls on his head he wont get seriously injured as the pvc piping version is a lot lighter and cheaper, but it can still make an effective looking piece so i wouldnt worry about loss of quality or anything like that. just a bit of quick advice that i think could really help.

-drew

TCSS Resident Annoyance
    NOOBS: Don't be annoying, thats my job, GO HERE

First off "welcome", second thing is a lightsaber is an extension of your will, into the force... from real to unreal to real again(understand). your lightsaber is your own and your project is your own, that said a GREAT place to start is KISS(you get the idea) first thing you should do is click on gallery or look at the threads where people show there projects and see what you like and dont like.. ive said it before but there are only a few rules to building a saber... here are the rules i go by *measure thrice(not twice) cut once, **NEVER EVER RUSH, *** yes you can use a hammer to drive screws, but a screw driver is much better... if you dont have the right tool beg/borrow/steal it..but dont skimp on tools!! the basic things you should get together and this is for ANY saber... soldering iron, some cheap wire, and heat shrink, never ever ever use electric tape.. the saber is metal and things will ground out.. expensive things.. for drilling holes use a center punch then drill. and dont forget to check out the "cheap easy builds" try a pvc saber until you get your parts together for your actual hilt..you learn alot from sink tubes and pvc(and its cheap incase you screw up). what i like to do is draw out things to help you visualize it, make a mock up with an empty papertowel roll. cut where you like your switch if you dont like it move it.. then maybe once youve got things settled and ONLY then start drilling on your parts from your order.. use the mhs builder then sit down and make mock pieces like i described(everyone knows sometimes things are great on paper but not in real life).. but check the gallery and use the mhs builder and heres your parts list and there are TONS of wire diag's for you to study
    *interior(LED saber, no sound) dont go EL its kindof old tech these days
    - battery pack
    - switch(latching, push on, push off type)
    - driver, or puck(whichever, it powers the led)
    - blade holder(these come with the REQUIRED heatsink for mounting the LED)
    - LED (look around the site whichever you pick is fine)
    - optics for led (collimater, focus the led)
    - holder for led (holds optics above the led)
    - some extra wire, screws, set screws, thumb screws(w/e)
    - last but not least a Blade...lol
    put that all in your pvc/sink tube/mhs hilt and its one awesome flashlight :P
    ~dave

btw chime in if i missed anything guys(and gals)... damn this is a long post

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Excellent post and good info Dave
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

first i would suggest pick out a good broken broomstick no longer in use then wrap some some sticky grippy tape 'round the end. find Jimmy, your previously best friend who has been home from school all week because of headlice quarantine and you were not to play with jimmy. call jimmy headlicer and goad into fight. be amazed when jimmy slices your impervious lightsaber into slices like a stick of salami with a length of pvc because he's angry for being called a headlicer over and over. be friends with jimmy again...before he beats you to a pulp.
    Last edited by tinfoilhelmet; 08-16-2009 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilhelmet View Post
    first i would suggest pick out a good broken broomstick no longer in use then wrap some some sticky grippy tape 'round the end. find Jimmy, your previously best friend who has been home from school all week because of headlice quarantine and you were not to play with jimmy. call jimmy headlicer and goad into fight. be amazed when jimmy slices your impervious lightsaber into slices like a stick of salami with a length of pvc because he's angry for being called a headlicer over and over. be friends with jimmy again...before he beats you to a pulp.
    I really hate to ask but what does this have to do with the subject of this thread

Try and stay on subject
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist

Welcome to the site! There's a lot of great information here that will help you build your first saber. The members here are very helpful. Just read through the posts in LDM's signature to get started. I just finished building my first MHS saber and I found answers to all of my questions from using the search function on this site.

Have fun and take your time building it. It's a very rewarding venture. Good luck and I can't wait to see your first build!

thanx again. I'm on the quest now.

hey we ALL know how family is, it great to have you here and stop by to check on the new developments.. that said i think a star wars theme is awesome for a baby
    ~dave

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

We don't ALL know what it's like to have our own families though. Some of us here never had children.

Like me.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

hey guys I have another question. Ihave this old hasboro obi wan light saber with the sound card and the shock drive with speaker all intact. this may be dumb but Ithink it will work with a lux 3 right? I mean all I,ll need is the lux 3 and a heat sink and blade right? I,ve been lookin on the boards but maybe I just haven't found the right thread yet.