Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A new hope

Default A new hope

Wow is all I have to say. I found This site looking for some ideas for some display lightsabers for the nursery for my son. and found a new world out there. I have to say I,m hooked. Now all I need is to jump in and start building. which way would a noob like me go? I,m going for a utilitarin battle blade and I want it to be bright and as relistic as possible. blade not the hilt. Just point me in the right direction and I,ll do the rest. thanx dvader5655.

Dude, this is all you need to know to start with.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=6430

Just look around the forum and you will find instructions and in many cases (thanks to LDM and a few other experienced personnel) very detailed pictures on just about anything you could possibly want to do.

Thanx I,m lookin around now. But which route should I go? I mean I want to go with a blue color. but don't know which one will be the most realistic. thats all. I am going led for sure. but there are sooo many blade choices and I' not sure of the led and electronics. which would be best for a noob. Thanx for responding.

What do you mean by realistic? All you really want is a saber that has light and sound, is made of metal and looks how you want it to look.

Think about you as a person, read and look at the sabers posted on the forum for inspiration and then order some parts.

From the bottom up you need:

Pommel, Insert, and a clip to hold the insert in place.

Main Body, extension and or Choke and Blade holder (which comes with a heatsink and plastic screws).

A blade and retention screw (thumb screws are better as they're more convenient when wantint to remove the blade)

For the light you need:

Led, you can choose various types. I would go for a Lux 3 to begin with.

and on/off switch, a switch bezel and battery holder (Even though you may not put sound in to begin with I would get the speaker housing anyway as this will stop the battery from moving in the saber).

If you're going for sound I would have a TCSS speaker/battery combo and the easiest way (though not the cheapest) is to find a broken MR saber on ebay (not a yoda, they're more difficult to pull apart) and salvage the board.

I hope this is a good enough start. I'm not one to say read, read, read but believe me I've read every day for three months and I still keep finding new inspiration.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Welcome.

This is a forum for DIY lightsabers, you're going to need to do some reading to figure out what is "best" for you.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Thanx guys YOUR right I'm going to really think hard and read read read.I was just trying to figure out how i could make the blade look as realistic as possible . i've been looking through the forum. and saw that there are wraps and diffusers. I guess thats what I was trying to figure out. its really a big world in the saber construction socioty. and I found this site on 8/13/ so I,m brand new. but you guys have been helpful. Dvader

I wouldnt recommend going with any sort of sound for your first saber, I would go direct driven. Meaning that you just have batteries, a switch, resistor/buckpuck, LED for your electronics. Sound can be a hassle. But like the other 2 said before me, read read read.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Welcome. Start with the links in my SIG. One has already been posted for you. The best way to learn is to "read and jump in". Everything you need to build a basic realistic saber is listed in the link. If you want blue go for the blue P4 basic electronics kit. The great thing about MHS sabers is that nothing is ever wasted...you can reuse the parts from a basic build later in a more advanced one if you need/want to which is why I say jump in, follow the tutorial and in a week you will have a basic saber built with your own hands!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by $tarkiller View Post
    I wouldnt recommend going with any sort of sound for your first saber, I would go direct driven. Meaning that you just have batteries, a switch, resistor/buckpuck, LED for your electronics. Sound can be a hassle. But like the other 2 said before me, read read read.
    I don't see why not, I and many others did sound on the first go. A saber without sound is like a big mac without gurkins.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Well guys the info and advice has been awesome! If I cant figure out where to go from here then I should be thrown in empiral trash compactor. And to think I was gonna just mock some fake lightsabers for my baby boys room now I can make some that me and the little one can play with. of course he has to be born and grow up enough to hold one he he. thanx again. p.s. I may ask for advice here and there. but this noob will try not to be a pain the side. dvader5655.