Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crystal Chamber, you know you want it!!!

First off "ace" were not going to turn this into a flame-fest and if you think Tim is insulted then let Tim say so... I'm fairly certain that its not up to you to fight his battles.. and btw im stating fact alone i never asked him to stock an item or i wouldve put it in the wish list.. im asking others for speculation on the idea of making a kit and yes ITs FOR THE MHS system which just so happens to be the most popular ID(inner diameter) of custom sabers and yes it would be very easy to "swap" out the washers to fit your own custom saber.. please im not trying to piss you off im simply saying that competitors exist.. lets beat them to the punch... together.. and contrary to what you may believe, just because i joined the forum a few days ago has no bearing on the fact that (go on and ask tim yourself) i personally built and sold over 100 sabers with ALL parts from this site when led was a forethought and EL was king during "the phantom menace" days.. please dont flame me or think for one second im trying to insult anyone.. i want discussion only and with an open forum things will be said you may not agree with but its for the better of us all to discuss the future of our hobby and yes if we dont do it competitors will.. enough said "its not a threat, its a statement" so calm down.. please ... friends?... well now lets get onto this discusson.

ty "cardcollector" for the link.. Im simply asking for some idea's and i do know that the idea of a mhs crystal chamber has been brought up before and didnt happen.. but today is not yesterday maybe its time we bring it up again.. and if not today... maybe tomorrow.. Since it is actually so simple.. washers, led's, -squeeze crystal between-.. shouldnt it be at the very least talked about being introduced into the mhs line-up?

please guys keep comments on topic and any non constructive comments keep to private chats lets not fight over an obviously true statement and simple logic of all business that if theres a need and you dont fill it, others will.. just if you dont like what im saying message me.. dont destroy my thread this idea and proposal has value to others

I tend to use a chamber to house the driver board as well as a small section of eye candy. I agree too that it's something that you have to customize to fit your hilt, how you want any part of it for external display, what you want it contain. There are quite a few variables that make each build very unique. Perhaps just a general housing for the "crystal" itself but just consider the labor involved in producing these for TCSS consumption in addition to providing all of the hilt pieces available to us. It would be a second job unto itself.

These have been discussed many times before, and at present there is no universally practical way to do it. There would have to be several different ones to accomodate all the hilts.
    As there would have to be several variants, each made of many smaller parts, they would be considerably more expensive than most 'casual builders' would be willing to spend.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Since the MHS system is designed to screw together it is not as easy to have flashy insides as say a Graflex style saber that can easily pull apart to reveal the guts.

So any MHS based saber with a crystal chamber generally if not always has slots/windows cut into the tubes to reveal the crystal inside. We already offer a way to do this with the Schamber and will offer other options in the future.

I can see how it would help if we offered a way to mount the crystal inside those pieces (which have a smaller ID than most MHS sections). Is that what you are asking for? Or do you want one that will fit inside most MHS sections and if so how do you plan to show it off?

That said...

For the most part adding a viewable crystal to a MHS based saber is done by people with good fabrication skills and for them coming up with a mounting solution has not been a issue. I rarely have recieved a request for these to be made and have a lot of other parts in the works currently that people ask for almost on a daily basis which is why we probably will not offer anything like this anytime soon..sorry.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

ty for your feedback guys, one thing i will say is you are definatly correct in saying that its great idea on paper but less practical to implement and probably also in assuming that the "casual" customizer isnt really willing to deal with wiring the extra led's or risk ruin and despair if they mess something up inside (measure thrice not twice, cut once) soo maybe this is still a... tomorrow idea as far as for the practical application process. but im here and tomorrow will come.. they say conflict is the mother of invention.. well i say "todays preparation determines tomorrows achievement"
    ~dave

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

dgdve, I think what you want is not quite acheivable.

There is no "set way" a chrystal chamber kit could , or would be made.

Lightsaber are so unique, you would almost have to build a "kit" for every possible design. 1.25" sinktube, 1.5" sinktube, Gaflex, Heiland, TCSS... That doesn't even count the other "harware" sabers that are/could be in exsistance.

A crystal chamber is unique to EVERY build- no two are alike. That's what makes them so great!

I think it would be a great thing to have a end all be all "kit" for every saber but its just not possible...

On to constructive things...

What I can tell you about chrystal chambers is this-

1. They take LOTS of planning
    2. They are relativly cheap. $5-$20 Depending on the saber materials etc.
    3. Usually comprise of...
    - two washers (or any flat disks) to act as a LED and chrystal chamber
    - A mounting structure of some sort, whether it be a bladeholder ar attached to the hilt itself.
    -uses a Bezel LED holder for stregnth(sp)

I hope this gives you the answer/info you were looking for.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Council Member
    Jedi Master

This is the method that we use when using the chamber in the choke:

I measured it and it would also work for the MHS piece Tim offers though It doesn't show 360 deg. of the crystal off.

It is 1/2" Copper pipe milled out for the windows and sweated on to the Heatsink Lug.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's slick, Fender.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice fender... I'll have to use that design if you don't mind... I'll give you full credit though!!!!
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...