Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crystal Chamber, you know you want it!!!

Default Crystal Chamber, you know you want it!!!

ok im sure you've all seen some designs of sabers (*cough.. yoda, grayven) where the saber has a cut out section revealing.. "omg is that a crystal chamber". now for the average saber constructor id say this is the part where you say "omg is that my wallet" knowing these sabers are among the top tier of custom sabers and DEMAND the top time as the detail isnt just outside its within and i do respect these guys and the time they put into innovations but i think its time to put everything we know about crystal chambers into one place.. kindof a "how to" section on designing your own as well as possible look into one of these fine sabersmiths eventually selling it as a kit i mean it seems to be relativly straight forward but lets get a look at what i mean then talk about parts, idea's, size's dimensions.. here take a look at grayvens and you'll see why this is the future of sabers...

as i see it they are usually 2 disc's..maybe 1.245"od(made to fit 1.25" id sabers) with 2, 3, or 4 posts ( about 1" aluminum i think) then the crystal is held in place between the 2 discs and either lit on both sides or simply from the bottom by an independant led.. now enjoy grayvens work and feed me back guys
    ~dave

btw if i need a bump please do.. and now on to the video so check out the chamber and lets get this as a kit or parts lists please.. BIG UPS to grayven or lando or whatever they call him

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLX9SVlkNg&feature=channel_page[/URL]

Default here's the proper link btw

Since custom sabers are infact CUSTOM, a kit would certainly be a tricky thing to do as a generic kit certainly wouldn't fit in a majority of hilts.
    That's why each saber with a crystal chamber has to have it uniquely done for that hilt.
    There has been talk previously of a Modular Chassis system, but it's gone quiet in regards to that.
    There are 'how-to' guides on making a crystal chamber, though you naturally need to adapt the theory to your own hilt requirements.

Remember, the search bar is your friend.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

i do agree with what you say as the custom saber is indeed "custom" but being around the scene for sooooo long id say more then 90% of sabers use a similar hilt (id), but i may be wrong and the kit could easily be made in different variations.. to fit 1", 1.25", even 1.5" saber designs.. its all in the discs really thats it.. so im sorry and if i need a bump please do or its ok to lock and close it out as well, but ty for your feedback
    ~dave

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Check my post on Artiglio. It will show you how to make a nice simple Crystal chamber with the MHS system...
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

tyvm for your comment and the link im not really into the modular hilt system thing as ive kindof gotten into the t6061 lathed pieces they are nice and super sturdy. you can cut/modify or otherwise customize them to great effect adding or subtracting grips, external led's, activation boxes, and different switches. I have seen some great sabers being turned(lathed) these days and you can use that as a decent base to build nearly anything imaginable. your saber "Artiglio" is very very nice and im sure quite affordable (not cheap but atleast mid-range im guessing) with endless options from the use of different mhs parts but it just isnt my thing.. the crystal chamber is definatly a nice touch and you should start selling kits for the mhs pieces.. hell make 100 and sell em to tim :P, allowing the builder to supply the led gives them color choice and removes some cost from your end.. just maybe some spacers to hold it together more like a framework or something. I bet you can make em dirt cheap but im more interested in a smaller cage using one of tims acrylic crystals.. if it looks to cheap its only a $2 investment then ill start over...

p.s. if someone doest start doing this soon they will be offered by competitors.. (to me) it seems to be the wave of the future and if 33% of saber customizers want it.. its as if there are dollars floating around with noone to grab them.. "if its cheap they will come"
    ~dave

First off, this forum is connected to a store that sells parts for customers to build their own saber through the MHS system of parts. I would think that if the owner of TCSS wanted to carry a chassis setup, he would carry one that was useable within the MHS part system. I don't think he would stock a generic version that wouldn't fit the MSH parts.

Second, your idea, while sounding great, has been brought up many times here before. The trouble is that with a nearly endless variety of part combinations, battery configurarions, switch placements, speaker placements, LED driver options (driver/sound boards, buckpuck, resistor, etc), etc. Making a 'generic' chassis/crystal chamber is darn near impossible. There are just too many variables to play with. That's not to say your idea is without merit. I am just saying it is a lot harder to pull of than you might think (trust me, some of us have spent considerable time trying to figure this idea out already).

"...p.s. if someone doest start doing this soon they will be offered by competitors.. (to me) it seems to be the wave of the future and if 33% of saber customizers want it.. its as if there are dollars floating around with noone to grab them.. "if its cheap they will come" ..."

That's a pretty rude way to ask Tim to stock a product. If you feel so strongly about this idea, perhaps you should post in the store wish list thread and/or contact Tim directly. But it is in poor taste to insinuate Tim will lose sales becasue he doesn't add a particular item to the store.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I agree with Ace. Tim provides here the ULTIMATE canvas for the artiste. These parts are so versitile and fun to work with it is up to the individual builder to come up with cool and innovative ways to complete THEIR saber. Tim provides damn near everything to do just this, he can't however account for the bajillion ways that you can put these things together and therefore cant offer a cookie cutter style internals system for crystal chambers and chassis. I have made MANY sabers with crystal chambers. I DO have cut and dry system for doing it when it is in the choke like I favor sometimes. I am also working on a piece for the new windowed crystal chamber part that Tim sells, I have used it once already, I WONT be offering it for sale. Its just one of those things that individual builders have to do to make these things truly unique. Its ingnorant posts like the one Ace quoted that remind me of those people that say all MHS sabers look the same.......pssshhhh. Poop on that. No one would ever say that to MY face.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

i think tim could do some cages for crystals that just connect to the mhs and they would have the necessary holes for lights and wires, but maybe its just something that you have to add yourself as a nice touch. it might just be a little too complicated for a simple mhs, and i think tim made this shop to make saber building simpler.

TCSS Resident Annoyance
    NOOBS: Don't be annoying, thats my job, GO HERE

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He has already made cages for crystals...
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Do...lots-P397.aspx

put some washers in either end an you're good to go...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...