Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: help with claw mounting.

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

Heres my plain and simple advice DJ, and that is don't do it, I can't stress how much I agree with the others here, that using Knives on a saber in anyway shape or form is a very very very BAD idea.

Also, understand the saber I made is NOTHING MORE THAN A DISPLAY piece. It has never nor will it ever see a duel. It sits comfortably on a custom stand mounted in my workshop and away from kids.
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4291&dateline=1247681  058

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you really want claws buy these...
    http://studsandspikes.com/buy/index.php

and use this tutorial...
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=8555
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I would have to agree with every one that has posted unless you intend the saber never to leave you home don't add the knives. any public place will give you hell just over the appearance. For that matter any thing that looks threatening. And all it takes is one complaint to the cops and your have trouble you don't want. Right now it is even hard to get into places if you are wearing spikes on your clothes depending on who's running the place. Also liability suits are a lawyers wet dream these days.
    "Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci

dude, I got to see the saber Jedye made up close and personal, and for the RECORD, it didn't need to be dulled, because it already WAS. If you're going to defend yourself, don't do it by dragging someone into it who wasn't part of it to begin with. AND Make sure you have your facts straight as well.

now, I'm with these guys that doing it is a bad idea.

but, if you're dead set on this...trying to do anything less than actually machining a custom fixture is honestly, display or otherwise just begging for an accident.
    http://www.judgesabersmith.com

Come join the intergalactic kegger!!

Quote Originally Posted by morrisart85 View Post

now, I'm with these guys that doing it is a bad idea.

but, if you're dead set on this...trying to do anything less than actually machining a custom fixture is honestly, display or otherwise just begging for an accident.
    Not to mention it would be Cheesy as all get out.
    Do it RIGHT for a saber youll never be able to take anywhere, or trust in anyone elses hands.... OR

Pick a better way to do a less lethal (literally) spike setup

Banned Sith Lord

omg why did i even bother.... whatever guys. jeeze thanks for nothin. i do agree i wouldnt duel with it. it will be a show piece. but seriously out of ALL the materials and stuff used to make other claws that are just as equally dangerous? you give me a bunch of crud? RANDOM SABERS HAS AN AXE WITH A LIGHTSABER BLADE!! i dont see you narkin on him. what about the TOR sith saber? im sure someone made one of those and it has TWO blades on either side. TCSS claw system has points on the end. big deal whoopdy friggin do.wow. im glad i have kal el rah as a friend. hes cool. he actually HELPED me instead of beeing lame.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Your attitude is slipping, DJ.........

And the TCSS claws never had points, that I can recall.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 08-10-2009 at 03:36 PM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

DJ, the TCSS claw system does not have pointy tips. Everyone is not being "lame", they are showing a great deal of genuine concern for you. You should appreciate this. I know that I do not want to see you hurt anyone. This would be a very Structurally/techincally advanced build and I am sure that no one else wants to see bickering over this either.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoonbass View Post
    omg why did i even bother.... whatever guys. jeeze thanks for nothin. i do agree i wouldnt duel with it. it will be a show piece. but seriously out of ALL the materials and stuff used to make other claws that are just as equally dangerous? you give me a bunch of crud? RANDOM SABERS HAS AN AXE WITH A LIGHTSABER BLADE!! i dont see you narkin on him. what about the TOR sith saber? im sure someone made one of those and it has TWO blades on either side. TCSS claw system has points on the end. big deal whoopdy friggin do.wow. im glad i have kal el rah as a friend. hes cool. he actually HELPED me instead of beeing lame.
    Nice, and there you go bringing someone else into this. If you look at the critisism as constructive then most people have helped you.

Yes, randon sabers has a saber with an axe, I would think this is just a show piece and that the blade of the axe is dull enough not to cut.

The main difference is the tip of your blade, which could, if mounted at the wrong angle could do some serious damage. A small point will peirce something easier that a larger point, whether it's dulled or not. If you were to cut the bottom of the blade and have it mounted with the tip pointing in towards the polyc tube and it was really rounded and dulled then you MIGHT not cause yourself a lawsuit.

That said, I think that putting a blade on a saber just because you don't have the materials for something else is a silly reason for doing so. The rest of you stuff, costume and broad saber are good, just be patient, get the right materials and do a good job.

And don't take things so personally, no one is having a dig. Just giving you some sage advice, that's all.
    Last edited by Invisas1979; 08-11-2009 at 04:03 AM.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"