Thread: Cutting Polycarbonate Blade

Default Cutting Polycarbonate Blade

OK, I have completed the conversion on my vader and found that the blade is now about 3/4" longer than before. It's not such a big deal but I was used to spinning it when it was shorter.

I searched and found threads about cutting polycarbonate and some said to use a pipe cutter. Are they talking about the regular type of cutter with the little cutting wheel and the screw down depth wheel?

Thanks for any info

I usually use by bench saw or my dremel. the only thing about using a pipe cutter is that it can leave scrapes on your blade while it cuts. and I found something else that may help you out.. stuff some paper towels in there before you do the cutting below your cut. that way you dont have a messy clean up afterwards

I use one of these pipe cutters to cut blades...

Cheers!
    Lonewind

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you're using the stock MR blade, then I'd use something like what lonewind posted, since those blades are thin. Trying to use the screw type tubing cutter will probably just squeeze the tube and it won't cut it well, I know they don't work so well on thin walled PVC.

I do use that type of tubing cutter on thicker polycarbonate blades and it works fine, though. I don't mind some possible scratches from the roller, because that end of the blade will be inside the blade holder.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Great!! I have both kinds of cutters. I'll give it a go with the pvc cutters.

I'm still using the stock blade but will upgrade later.

Thanks for the help!!

I use a standard plumbing type tubing cutter to cut polycarbonate all the time, and have never had any problems with it.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like cutting it with a pipe cutter because it "rolls" the end...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I use a hack saw.... it works really well, because it is a fine-toothed saw, and the new blade is really smooth on the end.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I use the same metal cutting blade on my miter saw that I use for tubing, PVC and such. Works like a charm and takes literally half a second.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Well, I cut the blade last night. Couldn't find my pvc cutter so I used the pipe cutter.
    I did put a wooden rod inside the blade and it made a nice smoth cut.

Thanks for all the help.