Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How long is too long?

Default How long is too long?

So this is what I have so far for my build. Hopefully an opinion from some guys that have built several. Have you had some ending up feeling too short? Too long? Whats the perfect length for a lightsaber.

My hilt alone is coming out to 14.5" and then I was thinking about having 36" visible blade.

I think the hilt might be a little much I don't know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's all personnel choice, and your thumb screw needs to be moved up to the blade holder.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Council Member
    Sith Lord

That hilt is as long as my first MHS saber, and I like it a lot. You can get a TON of power into strikes if you grab the pommel with one hand and the emitter with the other.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

the size of one's hilt is up to them. if they want one super long go for it just know that you are gonna have to deal with it. too small might not be able to get everything in. but yeah do what you like it's your saber
    ...YUP!

How long is too long?

If you have to ask...

Then yeah...

Grey Leader:Standing By.

Recruiting now. Contact me for Emblem.

DONATE YOUR LIGHTSABER TO THE FIGHT AGAINST AUTISM!!! ASK ME HOW!!

I wouldn't worry about a saber being 14in it will leave you room to fit sound in your first saber without needing so much skill. It can be very fiddly to get it all in a short saber the first time around.

That said, all my sabers are between 13 and 14in and at 6'1 and 16stone a 11in or smaller would feel, well, small.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

moon bass made some crazy 18 incher I think . Don't worry about the length because more than likely you will become addicted to building sabers and will probably at some point change the configuration. That is the beauty of Tim's MHS.

Yeah, size is a personal prefrence...but if you want to go for more of the movie accurate size...it should be around 11in or smaller. All the hilts in the movies were small because they were custom machined and didn't have to worry about electronics space, so they were also a smaller diameter around. I'm 6' and I prefer 10 1/2 to 11in. You can move a smaller hilt faster, more precise. That and a 14in hilt sways a lot on a belt. If you run, it could be dangerous...

Quote Originally Posted by Invisas1979 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about a saber being 14in it will leave you room to fit sound in your first saber without needing so much skill. It can be very fiddly to get it all in a short saber the first time around.

That said, all my sabers are between 13 and 14in and at 6'1 and 16stone a 11in or smaller would feel, well, small.
    I don't think I am going to put sound in this one. Too poor to spend 100$ on the soundboard unless you know somewhere to get a decent cheap one.

And I think I am going to try to get it to 12 if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendore View Post
    I don't think I am going to put sound in this one. Too poor to spend 100$ on the soundboard unless you know somewhere to get a decent cheap one.

And I think I am going to try to get it to 12 if I can.
    You can get cheapie hasbro force affects sabers and gut them for the sound board, though you may have to get a driver of some sort to go with it. It shouldn't cost $100 to do that.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"