Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The basics of soldering.

full marks on the closeup picture though Firebird, i am yet to see many people pull off a nice tight shot like you did

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Do-Clo

Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla. I told you so.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's why it's the basic soldering. For the people that have never done it before.

You should do "Advanced Soldering Techniques" and go into further detail about it. The kind of stuff that most people wouldn't know and tips to Solder like a Pro.

Or we could just incorporate it all onto here. If it doesn't get too complicated. This is for the people, so lets make it as good as possible.

I just got sick of the "You just have to do it" Comments I see all the time. This Tutorial is supposed to get you started.

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ
    Official Designated TCSS Jester!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

True, this is a "basic" tutorial. I'll certainly try to tackle some "good" soldering joint in pics after I get home. I'm by no means an expert either, my dad just sat me down with a bread board and did one for me to watch then said "try anything until you feel you can do it", but I'll try too.[]

The point is that a picture is worth a thousand words. Describing it is like tech support over the phone... a picture at least gets them to understand what they have to do.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Soldering is really something that requires practice, one can look at a picture to see the desired results but until time is spent with your iron in hand you really can't master it. Another requirement is a good soldering iron, that will make or break the quality of your work. Another requirement is a hot soldering iron, wait for the iron to heat up to maximum before attempting to use it, just because it melts the solder it is not ready to use. I use a 800 degree soldering iron for my work and home use it gives the best results. Soldering guns are really not the best for saber building. A wet sponge is a peect way to clean the excessive solder from the tip of your soldering iron, just wipe your hot iron across the sponge and it will remove the extra solder and you have a clean tip once again.

Firebird don't take it personal, as I said your instructions are quite good.

Do-Clo
    Brotherhood of the Sith

Don't make me destroy you...

In reference to the soldering iron, what wattage soldering iron hits the 800 degree mark, i bought the highest wattage that my RS carried(45 watt), but it didnt tell what degree it went up to. Oh, and by the way, a wodr of caustin to everyone out there.....the black and decker solder irons SUK i would never recoment them to anyone.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

The temperature is set by the tip of the iron, the one Tim sells is 25 watts but it has a tip temperature of 750 degrees good for soldering. I really don't like the ones radio shack sells as the temperature is much lower probably less than 700 degrees. I have a 100 watt iron for really big work that I named Bertha, it has a tip that is 1/2" wide and it is 800 degrees.

Do-Clo
    Brotherhood of the Sith

so basically the 45 watter that i have sux?....maybee that is why it takes forever to melt solder and such?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

I hate to say it but I think you are right, order the weller from Tim on your next order, they make realy good soldering irons.

Do-Clo
    Brotherhood of the Sith

the one i got from wally world works ok, i just let it sit there and heat up before i try to use it. and when im ready, it is hot enough to heat it all up and melt solder just fine. only thing i have issues with on it, is the tips dont last very long before they get all blunted up and lose the nice point it has. i still need to get that soldering station do-clo gave me the link to. for 15 bucks its a good deal.

The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

I just found it is easier to use force lightning to solder every thing. Give that a try[][]

Really though, I love that this is getting done. I have a 45 watter with a brand spanking new tip and that makes all the difference. There is a fine line between having the tip tinned and a cloopy tip that won't give good heat.

<center></center>