Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to remove powder coating

awesome info! really needed this because i accidentally had one of my part's powder coated when i didn't need it to be so this saves me from buying another one!
    "The force alone is my ally, and it shall guide me to my destiny."

Hey everyone, I don't know about you but the Permatex 80646 is getting hard to find. Seems like most places are replacing it with the foam version (Permatex 80645.) I was able to find some at NAPA Auto Parts, but they changed the part number to a "Napa part number" same stuff as the Permatex 80646, just different name. Napa Part Number: 765-1230. Hope this saves someone else some time. Works great BTW.
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

Thanks for the info, Tahm. I've been wondering what to do when I run out of the Permatex 80646.

Here's link for it:
    http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...230_0282382660
    Last edited by Matt Thorn; 09-27-2010 at 10:43 PM.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Matt I also used Jasco paint remover from pepboys....I tried it after I messed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    Thanks for the info, Tahm. I've been wondering what to do when I run out of the Permatex 80646.

Here's link for it:
    http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...230_0282382660

Jasco Paint remover has been mentioned before as working very well..

Also AirCraft Stripper works good.. (comes in spray can).. spray it on (heavily).. let it sit or a few hours.. come back..whole PC comes off as 1 piece/gel like cover.

to re-cap:
    Permatex Gasket Claner/removers
    Jasco Paint Stripper
    Aircraft Stripper

However.. (as this is what the big guns told me to use).. this can be re-used over and over..

and the Eastwood one actually 'disolves' the PC..

Eastwood:
    http://www.eastwood.com/catalog/product/view/id/2384

PowderBuyThePound:
    http://powderbuythepound.com/catalog...roducts_id=798

Default Removing powder coating with damaging anodization?

I got some stray powder coating on some anodized pieces. Does any know if gasket remover will damage the anodization?

I'll test it on a scrap piece, but if anyone knows the answer off the top of his/her head, I'd be grateful for a response.

EDIT: Nevermind! I just tested it and it worked fine.
    Last edited by Matt Thorn; 10-02-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Excellent tip, Matt! I want to use a fluted piece in mine but wanted silver flutes with a black exterior. This will take care of that nicely. I would guess that I should tape over the areas I don't want the powder coat removed from?
    Last edited by Boj-Vaati Mau; 10-10-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boj-Vaati Mau View Post
    Excellent tip, Matt! I want to use a fluted piece in mine but wanted silver flutes with a black exterior. This will take care of that nicely. I would guess that I should tape over the areas I don't want the powder coat removed from?
    The gasket remover will seep under the masking tape and you won't get a clean line. That's a tricky situation. If you are using MHS parts, it would be best to have Tim do that for you. He powder coats the un-fluted piece first, then machines the flutes.

If you already have a powder-coated fluted piece, and want to remove the powder coating from just the flutes, I would recommend dipping a cotton swab in some gasket remover, and very carefully dabbing it on the places you want removed, one small area at a time. Once the remover is applied, the powder coating should start bubbling up within five minutes, probably as little as one or two minutes. Then use a clean cotton swab to remove the loose coating. (You need to do this before the dissolved powder coating dries again.) Just patiently repeat this process until you've removed all the PC from the flutes.

+1 recommendation for the Eastwood remover - thanks xl97!

Just got it and tried it today - works beautifully!! and super quick too!!

-c
    LOCKHEED

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Cool, thanks again Matt. I'll ask for the coating before machining to the notes when I get to buying those parts. I think it'll be easier than clean up later.