Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to remove powder coating

Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    I may have to try that. I just use aircraft remover (strong paint remover) and it has always worked great but you do not want to get it on your skin. A more skin friendly product such as the gasket remover would be welcome if it works as well (from your post it seems it does).
    I have gotten it on my hands, and though I washed them as soon as I could, I noticed no irritation or discomfort of any kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    I am probably (maybe, not sure, haven't made up my mind yet) going to strip my Leia hilt and PC it blue ice explosion which is a flip flop type color. It appears black until its in the sun and then its a really dark cobalt blue (but only where the sun is directly shining on it). Its a beautiful color I got to do my bike in but think it might look good on the Leia. If I don't like it I can always strip it again and go back with the super wet black.
    Cool. I was looking at those flip-flop colors over at powderbuythepound.com the other day and pondering their possibilities. I hope you'll upload photos if you decide to go with the flip-flop.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    I have gotten it on my hands, and though I washed them as soon as I could, I noticed no irritation or discomfort of any kind.

Cool. I was looking at those flip-flop colors over at powderbuythepound.com the other day and pondering their possibilities. I hope you'll upload photos if you decide to go with the flip-flop.

yeah aircraft remover starts to burn immediately so I am definitely going to try the gasket remover. I will buy some tomorrow to test out.

I will definitely upload pics...if I don't do the saber I will PM you pics of the parts of the bike (that's bicycle not motorcycle) I do which is what I got the powder for in the first place. I have already done a small piece to see how I like it. Its a nice color under normal light but once you get it outside in the sun it really looks good.

To be honest though I really don't see that color as being a true flip flop color. Its more of a dark pearl but I guess since its so dark then flips to blue under light or different angles it can be considered flip flop. When I think of flip flop colors are the ones that truly change colors like green to blue etc.

The next colors I am going to buy from them are the dormants (red and blue). They really look like a candy paint job but with less work.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Eastwood also sells a "wash" that is reuseable and you just put the part in a bowl with the solution and it dissolves the PC. No mess no stripper and you just dump the solution back in the container.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Follow up...
    I tried this with the Permatex Gasket remover foam (Permatex 80648 ) and it didn't work. I couldn't find the aerosol so that's why I tried the foamer.

Must be something in the aerosol form that makes it work (?)

Like FB, I'm using the stripper from Eastwood but would still like to try this. Guess I'll just wait till I find the 646.
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4291&dateline=1247681  058

Quote Originally Posted by Master Jedye View Post
    Follow up...
    I tried this with the Permatex Gasket remover foam (Permatex 80648 ) and it didn't work. I couldn't find the aerosol so that's why I tried the foamer.

Must be something in the aerosol form that makes it work (?)

Like FB, I'm using the stripper from Eastwood but would still like to try this. Guess I'll just wait till I find the 646.
    Yeah. The site I linked to was pretty specific in saying it was that particular product that worked, so I didn't take a chance on anything else. There must be some magical ingredient (or combination of ingredients) that does the trick.

I had a feeling that it wouldn't work... and would imagine that it's a weaker formula since to create the foam... alot of air needs to be introduced into the mix.

Worse case, I'll just soak these PC'd pieces in some of this New Orleans' coffee I just finished drinking. That should work.
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4291&dateline=1247681  058

Quote Originally Posted by Master Jedye View Post
    Worse case, I'll just soak these PC'd pieces in some of this New Orleans' coffee I just finished drinking. That should work.
    Ouch!

Default Smaller areas

If you have PC in a small area that you want out is this method i should use or is there some other method cause i know that sanding blows.

Quote Originally Posted by vorian89 View Post
    If you have PC in a small area that you want out is this method i should use or is there some other method cause i know that sanding blows.
    sure...if you have other PC around the small area you don't want removed just be sure and protect it with some thick wrapping of tape etc. because if any of these chemicals gets on it they will start to eat at it.

dont use the dip if your small area is close to other PC though because I doubt taping will help protect the PC if you dipped it.
    Last edited by Zook; 09-02-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vorian89 View Post
    I would add that instead of directly spraying the gasket remover onto the piece, you should spray it onto a Q-tip (cotton swab) and then use that to apply the gasket remover to exactly the spot you want to clean.
    Last edited by Matt Thorn; 09-02-2009 at 04:43 PM.