Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to remove powder coating

Default How to remove powder coating

For once, an answer, rather than a question.

Changed your mind about something you had Tim powder coat for you? Damaged the surface and want it redone? Mess up a powder coating job yourself?

Never fear. Removing powder coating is remarkable easy, if you use the right tool: Permatex 80646 Gasket Remover.

I learned about it here. The instructions are all there, too, but I would add a couple of notes.

First, though it sounds like something that might burn a hole through your skin and ever other non-metallic surface, it actually isn't such a big deal. [strike]It doesn't even make any fumes.[/strike] EDIT: I did notice fumes the second time around, but they are not very strong. Still, standards precautions about ventilation apply. But it's probably a good idea to wear gloves of some kind (and eye protection, in the unlikely event that some of it flies in the direction of your eye) when using it. I used common rubber dishwashing gloves, and they haven't dissolved yet. I just set my piece on a piece of cardboard and sprayed away. You can see the effect immediately. The instructions say to let it sit for "5-10" minutes. I would add, don't let it sit for more than 10 minutes. It seems that when it dries, the bubbly, flaked powder coating re-adheres itself to the metal, making it a nuisance to get off. If that happens, just repeat the process till it's all off. I had to do it four times to get all the Candy Red off a Yoda hilt.

Note: This method requires no sanding! Indeed, I strongly advise against sanding, particularly if you're working with a non-MHS piece. Before discovering the Gasket Remover method, I tried (futilely) sanding the Powder Coating off my Yoda hilt, and ended up scraping off some kind of surface that gives the Yoda its brushed steel appearance. After removing the Powder Coating with the Gasket Remover, I found that the damage was pretty visible, and that more sanding and buffing just made it worse.

I was able to find the Permatex Gasket Remover even here in Japan, so you should be able to find it easily wherever you are. I have no idea if other brands of gasket remover would also work. I also don't know if the 80645 Low VOC Gasket Remover listed on the Permatex site will work. (I don't know if they have stopped manufacturing the 80646, since it's not listed on their site, but it's still available al over the place.)

Hope this info comes in handy to someone.

P.S.: I'm going to try to salvage my Yoda hilt by powder coating it with an opaque chrome. It won't look like the MR version, but hopefully it won't look too odd.
    Last edited by Matt Thorn; 07-31-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Now this is good information to know!

Dang good find and thank you very much for sharing.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. -Jim Horning

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -KMFDM "Free your hate"

What Jagahati said!
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Glad to be of help. I've learned so much from these forums, I figure I should try to give back what little I can.

Excellent find, thanks!

Great find, Matt! (and "Hi! It's been a while!")

I'm gonna try this next time....I'm tired of sanding. lol
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4291&dateline=1247681  058

Quote Originally Posted by Master Jedye View Post
    Great find, Matt! (and "Hi! It's been a while!")

I'm gonna try this next time....I'm tired of sanding. lol
    Long time no see, MJ! Yeah, this is definitely better than sanding.

Very good contribution to the hobby. This may need to be stickied at some point for future use of people in that situation

Particularly when you are working with a new color, chances are good that you'll have to do a do-over. Yesterday I screwed up a powder coating of a Yoda hilt using Candy Red. I stripped it with the Gasket Remover and had it back in the oven 20 minutes later.

I may have to try that. I just use aircraft remover (strong paint remover) and it has always worked great but you do not want to get it on your skin. A more skin friendly product such as the gasket remover would be welcome if it works as well (from your post it seems it does).

Thanks.

I am probably (maybe, not sure, haven't made up my mind yet) going to strip my Leia hilt and PC it blue ice explosion which is a flip flop type color. It appears black until its in the sun and then its a really dark cobalt blue (but only where the sun is directly shining on it). Its a beautiful color I got to do my bike in but think it might look good on the Leia. If I don't like it I can always strip it again and go back with the super wet black.