Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1st MHS Saber

Default 1st MHS Saber

Hello all. I recently joined and decided to buiild my first saber. I plan to do more with it at some point but I wanted to get the basic thing done first.

I had some trouble with 'tinning' the wires and LED contacts. For whatever reason the solder did not want to stick to the wires or LED without some trouble.

I havent added sound yet (dont have a sound board to use yet) but I plan to do that eventually as well as get a blade for it.

Looks great, can't wait to se more sabers from you in the future.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Great first post!!! Even better first saber!!! Nice work!!!!!!!

(O_O)>o====7--------------------
    Join the dark side!
    ................When they're sleeping, take the browies and cookies and the IMAX TV and run!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
    I had some trouble with 'tinning' the wires and LED contacts. For whatever reason the solder did not want to stick to the wires or LED without some trouble.
    Does your solder have rosin core? If it does, you may not have the wires heated enough. Or the soldering iron might not be hot enough.
    Order of soldering: Soldering iron touches wires, solder touches wire/soldering iron tip, remove solder once enough has flowed, remove soldering iron from wire.

The solder does have rosin. It seems quite hot and melts easily but maybe I'm not heating up the wire enough for fear of meltin/ damaging something. I was afraid to damage the led as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
    The solder does have rosin. It seems quite hot and melts easily but maybe I'm not heating up the wire enough for fear of meltin/ damaging something. I was afraid to damage the led as well.
    Hmm.... You could tin the wire first... That would not even involve the LED

Well it looks great so far.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Nice first saber! Just practice a bit on spare wire and you'll get the hand of it.
    Cheers!
    Lonewind

I'd powdercoat those grooves, maybe add an accent thumb screw by the switch, then do nothing else externally!!!

Good job
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

That looks really good. Nice work.