Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we end this?

I just think everyone who is getting their feathers all ruffled up about this just needs to take a chill pill. Do you honestly care that much about ppl posting thoughts on a forum, and making typos, that you have to post a thread complaining about it? Seriously... Some people DO post nonsense, but this thread is no different. Just suck it up and read the posts you want to read. you don't have to read EVERY NEW POST... just don't get so easily irritated, we're online for christ sake...
    "The force alone is my ally, and it shall guide me to my destiny."

Some of us just like a clean house, and whilst the misc. topic is for misc. things, I can't agree with it being just anything. Yes, new babies & 'con pics are great, it's great sharing things like that with the community, though I have to agree with "i've been away, now i'm back" topics are completely pointless, unless you're Tim!!!

Revan:
    Do you honestly care that much about ppl posting thoughts on a forum, and making typos, that you have to post a thread complaining about it?

Yes, the 'Old Guard' generally do.

We don't want to create a rift on the forums, but we've worked hard researching our beloved sabers, and methods of improving them in everyway, but when our information is surrounded by trashy, illiterate threads with no purpose other than inflating someones ego, then our 'topics of interest' get missed, so newer people post a 'what's a bladeholder' topic when that answer could easily have been answered if the original post was still visible instead of being 3 pages back!!

Have folks noticed that the 'old guard' are posting less & less? That's because many are tired of repeating ourselves for the reasons stated above!!!

And since some of the biggest contributors are Mods, they DO have to read EVERY post!!!!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I think that Misc should become a no-post count area. It wouldn't stop the stupid posting there, but at least it wouldn't give people false images of actually KNOWING something about a saber with their high post count.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Think you can do it?

As I said on JSS, 'the kiddy pool' needs to be done....

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I don't have the power. Only Tim can make changes to the forums themselves. I'm sure he will see this thread, so as long as the discussion is productive, we may get somewhere. If the thread turns into a flamefest, it will be locked.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    I don't have the power. Only Tim can make changes to the forums themselves. I'm sure he will see this thread, so as long as the discussion is productive, we may get somewhere. If the thread turns into a flamefest, it will be locked.
    Well, i'm sure Tim read it on there too. I'll keep my flamethrower away for now, Sheriff.

#tips awesome cowboy hat

I'm not one of the old guard but I've been a member on this forum since early 2008 and I was lurking on it for a long time before that, it is a cool place to hang out and I do visit everyday. I don't always sign in but I do look at the new posts, sometimes I comment, most times I just take in what others are saying. I agree that standards are slipping, there seem to be more and more irrelevant posts. I always thought that the misc section was more for Star wars related threads, maybe some of the stuff that is not directly saber related but still falls with in the same ball park like light saber fighting styles, blasters and the like.
    As for spelling and grammar, well, a few typos and spelling mistakes do let me down I admit that but then no one is perfect. Except my wife (I am legally obligated to point this out.)
    A couple of days ago in a PM to LDM I thanked him for the help and advice he gave not just myself but to the others on this forum. I now extend my thanks to all the Council members and the "Old Guard" for the work they do to the forum and the help they give us, in return for this I think the least we can do is keep reasonably on topic and try to keep our posts tidy. We just need to think a little bit about what we want to say when we post thats all, still have fun. Too much seriousness is a path to the dark side after all.

I completely understand where the "Old Guard: is coming from when they say they don't like all the non-sense and bad advice and answering the same question 10 billion times. This is understandable and is reasonable to a point. I also think that posters regardless of their post count or "Squadron tag" should be respectful of other members.

That being said respect is a two way street. I despise this idea of a "Kiddy pool" or any other demeaning and insulting barrier placed between the members here. This is an insult to those of us "Stupid n00bs" who actually do respect these boards and those who post their wisdom and experience here. Sure I am not part of the "Old Guard" or a "Council member" or a member of any squadron but that is no reason to assume that I am incapable of doing my own research or thinking. My low post count does not relate in any way to my IQ and I find this kind of thinking deeply offensive.

I have only been a member here for a few months but during this time I have seen what can rather clearly be seen as a lack of respect on both of the "Sides" of this argument. The new guys don't like getting flamed and having their intelligence insulted by the "Old Guard". And the long time members don't like the irrelevant and annoying post that some of the newer members post. And to tell you the truth I think both groups are right.

These are Tim's boards. Tim's business gets better the more members come to these boards and build their own sabers. Chasing off new members is not good for Tim's business, nor is filling the boards with nonsense so it is harder to find the jewels of wisdom embedded here by those who are most experienced. Let us all respect each other and most of all Tim and make these boards a more friendly and respectful place.

To put it in MMO guild lingo: "Take these conversations to officer chat or back to facebook where they belong and get it out of raid chat"

I fully understand that because of my post count and relatively recent join date my words will probably not be read much less heeded but I felt they needed to be said regardless.
    Last edited by Jagahati; 07-25-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: failure to spell :P
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. -Jim Horning

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -KMFDM "Free your hate"

I understand where you're coming from Jagahati but I've not noticed anyone insulting intelligence on here and if I've insulted someone I apologize. I guess since I joined back in 06 and am part of one of the original 3 squadrans that makes me old guard. My thing with this is, I don't mind some typos once in awhile because I just made on earlier and can't remember which post I made it in. Again I say SOME typos. I understand people are going to make a mistake once in awhile but at least make your posts intelligent enough for people to understand. I don't mean that as an insult in any way and I'm not knocking anyone but this is what I mean.

Hw r u going 2 put that blde holder on that end of the saber?
    wat prt r u tlkin bout?

That's just 2 examples I could come up with of bad grammer. Again shorthand isn't bad when used in the right way but honestly who's going to want to read that. When you post all shorthand and don't take the time to at least try to spell your words correctly that just shows (to me anyways) that you're a bit immature. If you want people to take you seriously you need to be able to make a complete intelligable sentence. Again I'm not knocking anyone but I'm not going to take a guy seriously if I can't even read what he posted. Also how would I be able to help him if he needed it if I can't read what he said. Again at least make an attempt at spelling right and making your posts readable is all I'm asking for.

As for the non-sense thing on here. I remember back on another forum I used to post on there were some people that would put stupid stuff up just to get their post count up and "seem" intelligent as was an arguement here I believe. If you honestly know what you're talking about and you can help someone even if you only have 2 or 3 posts to your name compared to a guy with 2 or 3 thousand then by all means help the guy.

As was said earlier I like to just read what some other people put on here alot of the times. If someone needs help and I know how to help the guy I'll chime in but I don't want to sort through 3 pages of junk posts just to find the topic to help the guy. All I'm saying is I would like to see the standards raised just a little bit. I agree that the misc topics section shouldn't count toward you post total but again I don't have the power to make that call and I have no mod powers. Though soon with my mind control device I will, oh wait nevermind that I was having a moment. lol. You didn't see this Lord Maul, I'm not going to try to hypnotize you, Tim or anyone or would I? lol.

See that's an example of having fun while you post. I say have fun while you post but know when to be serious also. Don't post something that says, I'm back or I'll be offline for awhile, unless of course you're tim because we get good stuff from his shop.

As for the "old guard" insulting the newer members about their grammer, I've not really seen that. If someone posts something asking for help and I can't read it I'll tell him but not to be a butt wipe about it. If you want people to be take you seriously show that you can act professional once in awhile by making an intellegable post.

As for answering the same question a million times, I've had to do that before, not much but I have before. I'm not as active as I used to be on here but I still don't like having to answer the same question from the same guy a few days later. There's a reason we have tutorials on here which people should take the time to check out before they post a question. Not saying they shouldn't post for help I'm just saying they should take the time to make sure that what they're asking isn't explained in the tutorials. If they still need help or they don't understand something then by all means ask but at least make an effort to try.

That's all I'm asking is at least try to be professional by making an intellegable post so we can read it and help if people need it. Don't put stupid crap on here just to get your post count up. Unfortunatly on some forums people do tend to listen to guys with higher post counts more than the guy with the lower one that actualy knows what he's talking about.

As for irrelivent topics. There's nothing wrong with post something such as, could someone recommend another part instead of this, or my thing asking if anyone played wow. The misc section is for just that, random stuff but not stupid stuff. It's for the odd end of saber posts and other things. If you want to post be professional and take the time to at least demonstrate that you can make a complete sentence. I may not speak for everyone here but if I can't read a simple sentence that x guy writes I'm not going to take him seriously.

Anyways I better hush up until next post. It seems what I intended to be a paragraph turned into a rant. I apologize for the length but I think I explained my position on everything. God bless all.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Banned Sith Lord

this makes sense. i mean i went crazy when i first joined and was mostly in this section being stupid... dont get me wrong im still looney fish. but its just my personality. i have tried to die down my stupid. this topic has givin me more new perspective.