Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: maybe someday oled blades

That's a good idea Rhyen, thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Kal El Rah; 07-26-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

oLeds have been around for a while, so it shouldn't be too much longer until they become more practical.

As for brightness, here's a sample:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd99gyE4jCk
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

nice find!
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Thanks.
    I remembered seeing that about two years ago on Discovery Channel, I think.

That'd be awesome if the oLEDs were precise enough that you could, say, hook up some A/V in/out leads and use your shirt as a TV!
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

You could get the blade travelling effect on them easily enough, should they withstand a beating in a blade....

Also, given the chance to get hold of one of those t-shirts, i'd just have a blue glowing circle on the chest, iron man style!!!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Barmic Rin View Post
    You could get the blade travelling effect on them easily enough, should they withstand a beating in a blade....

Also, given the chance to get hold of one of those t-shirts, i'd just have a blue glowing circle on the chest, iron man style!!!
    Nice.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But could you wash them is the question...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

The biggest current issue with OLEDs is that they breakdown when exposed to things like oxygen and CO2, which in case you havent noticed, are kind of common on this planet and they are expensive to manufacture (which is a problem that can be solved). If you want to learn more, let me know, you can read my research paper I did for my Polymers Engineering grad class on them. They are waaay cool, and will most likely be as prevalent as LEDs are now in 10 or so years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLlrzIxvS9w

Notice how the screen seems to "flicker"? thats because the entire screen is flapping or moving due to air currents (from a fan behind it presumably). The display is so thin it flaps like a sheet of paper in front of a fan. Ya, talk about light sabers, you could watch HDTV on your saber blade...

Quote Originally Posted by wackogracko View Post
    The biggest current issue with OLEDs is that they breakdown when exposed to things like oxygen and CO2, which in case you havent noticed, are kind of common on this planet and they are expensive to manufacture (which is a problem that can be solved). If you want to learn more, let me know, you can read my research paper I did for my Polymers Engineering grad class on them. They are waaay cool, and will most likely be as prevalent as LEDs are now in 10 or so years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLlrzIxvS9w

Notice how the screen seems to "flicker"? thats because the entire screen is flapping or moving due to air currents (from a fan behind it presumably). The display is so thin it flaps like a sheet of paper in front of a fan. Ya, talk about light sabers, you could watch HDTV on your saber blade...
    WOW!!! That would make a great blade! You could do some amazing effects with that. How about the flame saber or lighting saber!
    You could even watch the football game!

I'm curious. Have you posted that research paper online anywhere? I'd like to read it.