Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: maybe someday oled blades

Default maybe someday oled blades

this is something that i needed to post just to get it off my mind, i came across this one day while doing some research for another thing and couldnt get it out of my head. For those who dont know oledīs are organic microscopic leds, now a days they are used as pc monitors, cell phone screens, mp4-5-16...whatever the number is today players screen etc..
    The method used to create the films of oleds is they use a industrial "printer" that prints the oleds on any fabric, whats special about it is that there are transparent oled films, and they run from 3v and upwards, on philips lighting solutions page you can see them used as interior lights.
    So i thought that maybe someday IF the films price gets good wouldnt it be great to have a fully trasparent blade that sudently lights up with the color of your choise?

That would be great and completely evenly lit the full length of the blade, saw the discovery channel special on them with the simulated room with the walls covered with it so you could change the color of the room with the flip of a switch.
    "Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Very interesting.

Now this is a thread that belongs in this section.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Banned Sith Lord

welcome to the new future of saber building!!!!!!!! i cant wait to see this hobby 30 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoonbass View Post
    welcome to the new future of saber building!!!!!!!! i cant wait to see this hobby 30 years from now.
    neither can i !! its a matter of innovation and waiting for the right moment to grab whatever is out there.

It would be awesome, but it all depends on how durable they are even IF they are durable enough, and just how bright they are.

oh well, "Patience, young Padawan" :P

mTm

Banned Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    neither can i !! its a matter of innovation and waiting for the right moment to grab whatever is out there.

exactly!!!!!! and brilliant people who are dedicated to keep trying until they get it to work! dedication..... thats where its at

oled's have been around for some time as you stated about how and where they have been used so far. If and when they are able to withstand impacts is when we will be able to possibly use them for saber blades.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You may be able to put a silicone rubber tubing inside to protect it from the impacts. I have used some of this tubing as a diffuser and it would protect the film very well and also make it look like it has an inner core. Just a thought.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php