Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: For Halo fans...

There were actually a fair number of female Spartans. If I'm not mistaken, one of the Halo comics had a story involving one.
    And yes, they were very likely extremely ugly. As were the males, since they were mutated, scarred, and cyber-"enhanced."
    TCSS Red Squadron - The most kickawesome fighting force in the Galaxy.

Which Blue Luxeon is movie-accurate? Find out here.

Oh yeah there were plenty of female Spartans even from John-117's era...but why would you assume they were "very likely extremely ugly"?

From "building a spartan" on bungie.net http://www.bungie.net/News/content.a...pnews&cid=7349

Profile: Petty Officer 2nd Class - "Nicole" SPARTAN-458

Nationality Martian
    Gender Female
    Birthday/Age December 19/21
    Blood Type O
    Height/Weight 6' 8" /370 lbs (in Mjolnir Mark VI armor: 7' 2" /980 lbs)
    Body Size B49" W30" H41"
    Fighting Style CQB (Close Quarters Battle)
    Occupation Commando
    Likes Halo-halo (Filipino dessert)
    Hobbies Watching Anime, Competition Shooting

6'8"

49-30-41 [!]

Believe it or not I actually knew a girl IRL who was 6'10" in bare feet [over 7 feet in heels!] with a build very much like that [longest legs I've ever seen and because of her height her breasts were proportionate but on a smaller woman would have been huge] and she was NOT at all ugly...not supermodel beautiful either but good looking not ugly...alas even though she was interested in me I'd fallen head over heels for someone else at the time so nothing ever happened between us...but I'll always wonder what it would have been like to have been with someone physically 'phenomenal' like her; we'd spot each other at the gym and she could press 20% more weight than I could...and she would 'whup' me EASILY at tennis, racquetball, volleyball, floor hockey or any other sport we played in the program we belonged to.

Most physically impressive woman I've ever met and stronger than most men and I learned a lot from her about not making assumptions about people who happened to be 'different'.

Better not to make assumptions about anyone...people can surprise you...and being physically unusual doesnt mean ugliness...there can be beauty in all shapes - and sizes - of women or men

Nicole 458 and the other female Spartans make me think of her [she could have fit in their Mjolnir armour]...what might have been...-sigh-...
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 08-02-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: add link

Spartan-IIs were horribly altered and put through the worst kind of "training" possible. They often had extremely scarred faces and mutated physiology. They weren't exactly attractive.

So I wasn't making a comment about females, I was making a comment about Spartans in general, attempting to stop someone before they went on a stereotypical "how hot must they have been" rant.

They were genetically reengineered in a way that was excrutiatingly painful and fatal to some of them so I'd accept "horribly altered" in that context but I wouldnt assume that meant "horrible" in appearance.

Its a bit of a pet peeve with me about SCREEN sci-fi that mutations or aliens are so often depicted as 'bizarre' meaning UGLY and worse yet 'distorted' in ways that actual evolution simply wouldnt encourage any time or on any planet.

For example look at how many 'mutants' or 'aliens' are DRIPPING ooze from their bodies...yeah thats the "gore" influence from horror movies calculated to 'shock' audiences with an appearance of the macabre but is a 'cheap shot' horror movie trope that has NO place in serious science fiction.

The simple reality of biology is that any macroscopic land life form that 'drips'/'oozes' in copious quantities is going to die soon from infection if dehydration doesnt kill it first and quickly...Natural Selection would make any species that did so Extinct in short order...that would be true regardless of what planet they came from because 'oozing' is an anti-survival characteristic not a pro-survival characteristic for life that dwells on land in a relatively dry atmosphere. Which is why real living creatures have DRY relatively water-tight surfaces covered with skin, fur, feathers or scales...only amphibians are slimy because of their humid environmental niches and even they have a thin layer of moistness that doesnt drip much.

For similar reasons most 'extreme' mutations are non-survivable and don't convey any evolutionary advantage and are quickly weeded out by selection pressure from the gene pool...creatures ADVANTAGED by mutations tend to be more efficient and that is normally reflected aesthetically in form following function in a positively enhanced way.

To get something originally more like a leopard to have the running speed of a modern cheetah the Evolutionary process required physiological changes that are significant across the entire morphology but the evolutionary process didnt produce something 'hideous' to do so eh?

Neither would a 'forced'/'directed' genetic engineering program designed to advantage basically human test subjects with enhanced physical capabilities across the board...it would be intended to recreate people into'demigods'/'superheroes' not 'monsters'.

They may not be seen as more beautiful depending upon ones personal standards of beauty but physically advantaged mutated-human super-soldiers - which is what the Spartan II project was aiming for - probable wouldnt be grotesqueries.

Any Spartans that were HORRIBLY disfigured by the reengineering program were probably the ones that died.

Scarred by training and missions however I'd absolutely agree with...but even there there is a limit to how much scar tissue a person can carry before it becomes disadvantageous. One would guess ONI would have the best dermatological restoration techniques available in the 25th Century to counter that but still they'd be probably well scarred and that might well make them ugly to people who cant see beyond that.

I agree that on "how hot must they have been" they were almost certainly NOT 'hotties' in any conventional sense under their 'masks' but they wouldnt be barely-recognizable-as-human monstrosities under the Mjolnir armour either.

And a 49 inch bust even on a 6'8" woman indicates that scars aside Nicole 458 wouldn't be even as odd looking [imo] as some 'extreme' female bodybuilders today...its unlikely the ONI would spring for something as tactically non functional as breast implants which means Nicole must have a reasonably human-normal amount of body fat like my friend not like an 'extreme' body builder eh?

Extreme fitness for sure but not muscular development gone berserk to the near zero body fat vein popping look some take it today: 'extreme bodybuilder' VEINY muscularity would be a tactical DISadvantageous morphology on the battlefield...one scratch and they bleed out?

Not a likely objective for the Spartan II project physiological reengineering program eh?

With a relatively normal amount of body fat that a 49" bust indicates Nicole 458 and therefore presumably other female Spartans should be capable of CHILDBIRTH...who knows maybe she was offspring of one of the few female Spartans who survived John 117s era in Ghosts of Onyx...Kelly-087 or Linda-058 perhaps? Since Linda is described as having red hair and green eyes it would be very genetically unlikely for her to be Linda's daughter so more likely Kelly's, and if you believe the theory the girl and boy we see in the Starry Night trailer was Kelly and John then its not impossible from what little we see of her features in the dark that she might be Asian as Nicole 458 is definitely described as being [Filipina].

Yes I'm as much a Halo geek as a SW geek I'm afraid lol

So...female spartans would be paragons of human female physical capability yes, but "Hot"?

Probably NOT 'hot'...but ugly? Not necessarily either imo.

I´m real curious about this one. Not really a fan of Halo, but it caught my eye when this showed up

Considering that Halo is only about a quarter as old as Star Wars it has a surprisingly similar density of 'canon' already...there is even a 'Halopedia' just like there is a Wookiepedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    Considering that Halo is only about a quarter as old as Star Wars it has a surprisingly similar density of 'canon' already...there is even a 'Halopedia' just like there is a Wookiepedia.
    Eh. There's a 'pedia for everything these days.

The Star Wars universe has really only been growing since about '91, when the Expanded Universe novels started. So the "ultra-density" has only existed for about ten years longer than Halo. That being said, Halo isn't anywhere near Star Wars's level. Wookieepedia has 68,578 articles, while Halopedia has 5,753.

I dont think its going to be that great at all. I just dont like anime and they are gona mess up the stories big time
    The Dark Side Feels Good.
    I Love The Power.
    You Cant Stop Me.
    I Will Kill You...