Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lightscourge...?

Default Lightscourge...?

I have seen to many many posts about Lightwhips... and they seem to be POSSIBLE, but not overly practical...

What about if you wanted to have 6-9 2 ft. "Whips?" I was looking on the internet for some form of fan shapped multi-mono plug... or some way of fitting multiple EL wires (possibly wrapped in some ort of tubing...)

Essintially... I'm trying to make a Light-Scourge... Or Light-Flogger... Or Light Cat-o-nine-tails... Those who don't know, i have posted a picture of about what i am talking about... OBVIOUSLY i would want a Lightsaber style handle... but the picture is just for example...

I was also thinking about sandwiching sheets of EL between White cloth... or maybe EL tape ( or maybe several rows of EL wire...)

Does anyone have any ideas, know what i am talking about, or pictures?

Also, very important, i do intend to hit something with this... alot. so it needs to be study, yet not TOO painful.

I dont care how long the handle is... to a point, (2 foot handle is no big deal)

I briefly mentioned this idea in a post about EL wire... but i was looking to find out about the durability/flexibility of things like side view fiber optics...

I have alot of drawings... but they dont scan well, and i need some one to bounce ideas off of. Thanks!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maven; 07-20-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Grey Leader:Standing By.

Recruiting now. Contact me for Emblem.

DONATE YOUR LIGHTSABER TO THE FIGHT AGAINST AUTISM!!! ASK ME HOW!!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Dude.......

What the hell are you into?

Maybe you should just get some EL wire and an inverter an play with it, a minimal investment to see if your idea will even work. EL tape and sheet can't take much lateral bending. The phosphorus starts flaking off and it can also start shorting. Wire is probably going to be your best bet.

I'm out of suggestions. I think it's a weird idea and I've never seen anyone do it.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Hehe, not that odd an idea if he's putting a LightFlogger together for club shows, adult cyber events, etc.. but I was once a club kid, so I guess I am biased.

And I actually saw one, a number of years ago (2001?) here in a NYC club that was hosting an adult film event. The flogger had 12-14 tails, reasonably thick wired, and was indeed made of EL Wire. I never had a chance to speak with it's user/owner as they were a stage group and never moved among the audience.

JL is right and you should get a simple invert/wire setup and mess around with hit.. see where it leads. Good luck and let us know what you find out in your experiements.

*side note* Just do keep in mind, this was, and should only be used, as a show piece. Any use of a LightFlogger made of EL Wire would shred human skin very easily as the wire will want to 'cling' to the flesh as it sides over it. Just a warning.
    Last edited by Darth Abominor; 07-21-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't think short lengths of EL wire are heavy enough to damage flesh.

I'd be more worried about damaging the connections to the inverter.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Dude.......

LOL...
    LOCKHEED

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I was just yanking his chain, so-to-speak, with that question.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 07-21-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: need to proofread better!
    TCSS MODERATOR

actually the lightwhip gravy made looks pretty tough, I bet the design could be adapted, he used some sort of clear plastic tubing to protect the EL wire.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

EL wire itself pretty tough on the outside, it has an inner and outer sheath over it.

What is not tough are the 2 fine wires inside that spiral around the outside of the phosphorous coating, they can break easily and if one of the 2 of those breaks, that EL wire won't glow anymore, till you cut off the bad piece, re-strip it and re-solder the unbroken wires.

When making EL blades, filling the connector with hot glue or silicone helps with that, but I don't know how you would do that for multiple wires.
    TCSS MODERATOR

]Dude.......

i laughed so hard, i started crying. great reply!!!!!!

J-Lo that made my day! lol But anyways it seems kinda funky.... In a cool way though.