Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: End cap?

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    Sorry, I misunderstood. In you first post you said that you had finished building your saber. Anyway no, you misunderstand me. You can't glue the insert onto the bottom of your saber. You can glue it into the pommel. It only saves you the cost of the clip. You have to use a pommel. Period. Now before you ask any more questions or make any more decisions, go spend a few minutes learning how this all works.
    No, i didn't misunderstand you, why couldn't i just glue an MPS insert (or flat piece of metal) onto the bottom of the saber instead of gluing (or clipping) it onto a pommel?

You can't glue an MPS insert on because it is too small. You can't glue a flat disk of metal on very well either because there wouldn't be enough surface area there to keep it held in place. Please please PLEASE go do some reading so you can become more familiar with the parts, then the answers will all become clear. At that point if you want to get creative and try to come up with a custom cap for the end of your saber, you might actualy know enough about the parts to make it work.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Another reason to use a pommel is ease of battery replacement, since most people put the battery pack at the bottom end of the saber. You just unscrew the pommel to replace them.

Unless you're going to use rechargeable batteries and a recharge port (which I kind of doubt), you'd end up having to disassemble your saber every time you needed to change the batteries if you had something glued into the bottom of the hilt, if you're not using some type of extension piece.

I suggest, that before you place your order, you start a thread in the Parts List section and list everything in your shopping cart so we can check that you have everything you need, and not anything you don't.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

A pommel insert is about 1 1/8" in diameter. The id of most MHS parts is 1 1/4". The pommel insert will be real hard to glue in such a large opening. Plus you run the risk of knocking it loose with any small bumps. There are some MHS parts with a 1.15" and a .8" bore but I don't know if you are using one of those as a grip section.

Now, I must say that if you are concerned over paying 10 dollars for the most basic pommel, insert and clip then you might want to think about this. Would you rather pay the 10 extra dollars and have you saber look and function correctly, or would you rather spend hours upon hours trying to glue a too small disc into an oversize tube? It's up to you as it is your saber, but I doubt very seriously you would be able to make a glued in disc work the way you want.

I'm afraid Timerender is right the cheapest way is to buy at least the pommel...yes theoretically you could make a pommel with a properly sized 'stem' that would fit inside the inside diameter of the hilt section and not engage the threads and then drill and tap holes to secure it with setscrews...all of which would be MUCH harder AND more expensive than buying the proper MPS pommel.

The TCSS MHS system is designed to be modular and allow 'mix and match' of parts, so the parts are made to fit together well and strongly [important for dueling] using a common threading diameter...there are other ways to make sabers like sinktube and pvc sabers...but if you choose to go with a MHS based saber and want the cheapest solution you really will need MHS-compatibly-threaded parts...which means at least a MHS hilt body, MPS pommel, and MHS bladeholder...the QUALITY of these CNC machined parts is outstanding [I've never had one break] which is why the MHS is a 'defacto standard' in custom sabers so you will get good VALUE for your dollar spent on them, if that makes you feel any better about it.

edit: once again Jedi-Loreen and Ace beat my sloooooow typing...you should listen to them they are experts.

This saber is purely a prop, no LED's or anything.

Buy pommel #2 for $6, buy insert #4 for $2.70, and buy the clip for $.70. The grand total for these parts is only $9.40, and if you can't afford that then you probably need to reconsider buying a lightsaber at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 007aaa1 View Post
    This saber is purely a prop, no LED's or anything.
    Why are you here for just a prop? Go to home depot and buy this

I added the black stripes myself to test the Rustolium Any Surface Flat Black paint. I had this part for a long time but I know they still sell it under 15 bucks. Cheap and easy. Perfect for a prop.
    "Tactic: When no other options present themselves, shoot everything in sight." - Face Loran, Iron Fist

"This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a ****. None shall pass!"
    -Ganner Rhysode to the Yuuzahn Vong Army