Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: End cap?

Default End cap?

Hey, I'm new and just finished building my saber, the only problem i have is that all the pummels are a bit to expensive and have holes in them, does an end cap work like a pummel except it doesn't have a hole in it? My lightsabers body is the completely plain one with just a hole for the switch.

Firstly, it's called a pommel, not a pummel, although the two words do share a common etymology. Secondly, an end cap will only fit on a sink tube, whereas the modular pommels fit on the ends of MHS parts, including the sinktube adapters. Thirdly, one of the MPS inserts is solid, so if you don't want holes in your pommel but you plan on using the MHS, that will be the way to go.

Finally, spend some time doing some research before you post more questions, because you could have answered this for yourself if you had taken 5 minutes to look.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    Firstly, it's called a pommel, not a pummel, although the two words do share a common etymology. Secondly, an end cap will only fit on a sink tube, whereas the modular pommels fit on the ends of MHS parts, including the sinktube adapters. Thirdly, one of the MPS inserts is solid, so if you don't want holes in your pommel but you plan on using the MHS, that will be the way to go.

Finally, spend some time doing some research before you post more questions, because you could have answered this for yourself if you had taken 5 minutes to look.
    Hmm...so i have to buy a pommel, pommel clip, AND an MPS insert just to finish off my saber?

Is it an MHS saber or a sinktube saber?

Then yes, an MHS pommel is your only option, although you don't really need the clip if you are willing to glue the insert in place. I don't intend to sound rude, but you really should have known that before you placed an order.

I haven't placed the order yet, and i think it would be better (and about 20 dollars cheaper) if i just took an MPS insert and super glued it onto the bottom of my saber...

Sorry, I misunderstood. In you first post you said that you had finished building your saber. Anyway no, you misunderstand me. You can't glue the insert onto the bottom of your saber. You can glue it into the pommel. It only saves you the cost of the clip. You have to use a pommel. Period. Now before you ask any more questions or make any more decisions, go spend a few minutes learning how this all works.

Then yes a MPS pommel is male threaded to fit the female threads on MHS hilt sections...the end caps for sink tubes arent...but the clip and MPS insert are optional. Many people use other methods like glue or O rings instead of the clip and for the insert you could simply cut out an appropriately sized disc of some material you already have at hand and glue it into place if you don't want to use the MPS inserts. There are 'conventional' ways things are commonly done in this hobby but don't let that stop you from being creative...especially if you're on a budget.

It's YOUR saber afterall so if you like some way of doing things and can make it work for you then more power to you...Good Luck!

edit: you beat me to it Timerender lol...but with a little creativity he can save on the insert as well as the clip.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 07-17-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Onli-won is right, you could use other materials at hand, but considering the clip is only 70 cents, and the blank insert is only $2.70, you could save yourself a lot of time and trouble and just buy the insert. It won't cost you much more, and it will be more durable than a home made solution.

Edit: Onli, the real issue here is that 007 doesn't want to buy the pommel. He wants to glue an insert directly onto the bottom of his saber.