Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: SaberSound 1.0 new soundboard prototype

I have not had a moment to make a Swing Video, but as noted by Zook, there is a real 'desire' for more swing for less force. I note this to be more so when the soundboard is edged in plastic to help avoid hilt contact and shorts. You have to put a bit of muscle into the swings to get a reaction from the board.

(This is with the board mounted just above the speaker and vented pommel)

That doesn't sound to good.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Just keep in mind 1) that this is version 1.0, and 2) it's just $50. I think it's great myself, and look forward to future tweaks.
    There's always a bigger fish.

For the $$ amount he asks for the board and install, I can't say it's a bad thing. (and just for the record, it's at $60.00 right now for the SaberSound v1.0 boards with a handful left in stock)

Had a weird middle of the night crazy idea...

Since it seems this board is a straight pass through from input to LED output and supports up to 10V then IF one hooked up a 9V source [say 6x1.5 alkaline pack] to the input and hooked the LED output [which should also be 9V?] to the inverter sold here couldn't this board be used to make an EL saber with sound?

That is a possibility. Give it a try.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

I've never owned nor yet built [or even seen, actually] an EL saber so I cant just hook up my SS1.0 to one to test, I'd have to build a new saber [which i've had a design for for awhile actually but been waiting for a good sound solution] so I thought i'd run the idea by the expert folks here and see if it makes sense first to someone here who does have EL experience.

I think the board should work but since it doesnt regulate power in any way whatsoever would I need to put a resistor between the board out and inverter in? I see there is one and an accent LED in the wiring diagram but not sure if its just decorative or meant to be protective. Any EL-expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, not meant to threadjack but if a SS1.0 board CAN run an EL that would open up another 'niche' for it eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    I've never owned nor yet built [or even seen, actually] an EL saber so I cant just hook up my SS1.0 to one to test, I'd have to build a new saber [which i've had a design for for awhile actually but been waiting for a good sound solution] so I thought i'd run the idea by the expert folks here and see if it makes sense first to someone here who does have EL experience.
    Umm... And you want to build an EL saber because...?

EL technology is pretty widely deemed to have been made obsolete by high-power LED technology.

But if you really want to talk to an expert, our own Jedi Loreen was pretty much the one who pioneered the whole EL saber thing long before anyone tried using LEDs.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you buy the inverter from the Store, it's rated for an input of up to 12V, so no resistor needed.

I'd be interested to see someone try this. I don't see why it wouldn't work, if you can get 9V coming out of the board.

I only pioneered the complete DIY (as in sourcing all the parts independently) EL saber "thing". There was a kit you could buy from Lightech, but the blades were unsatisfactory, IMO.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Yeah, but their hilts were pretty cool for the time period. I spent many an hour perusing their site back in the day.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS