Hello everyone, I just want to know how can we make a Rusten or old effect,
    Example : http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...p?t=676&page=4
    In the Malaikvitah 's blade holder.
    How could I make this effect?
    Thank you

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

We call that "weathering".

Here's a search I did, read through some of these threads.

I'm not sure if anyone tells exactly how they do it though, but maybe you can ask. Ask in the newer threads, though.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...earchid=410546
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Here is how I do it; take some black testors model paint and paint it on the part in a random way with no straight strokes, then let is dry a bit and sand the part all around. Just repeat the steps till it looks the way you want.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

I OWN THAT HILT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! (this was the famous 'pea-sized solder' hilt)

The 'weathering' (if you can call it that) was merely spray paint that had been sanded off.

Here's how it looks upclose:

Here's the hilt before it's respray.

Sairon uses the same weathering method as the guy I bought this from. There are various methods including the oil-olive method. I'd take a look at that as well, as that can come out quite well.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

I like using aluminum black. Using fine grain sand paper to uniformly scuff the surface in straight lines top to bottom. Wipe on the black with in the same uniform motion using a sponge until it's as dark as you want it. Then follow up with a little more light sanding giving a little extra in certain spots. Makes the aluminum appear to have blackened with age instead of paint that's chipped away(although I've seen the paint method used with great results out here too).

Okay, thank you Guys for all yours technic (?). So if I have understand well, I Must paint in black the aluminium (where i want the weathering) and use Sandpaper after on the same place to uniform it?
    Do I understand?
    Do you understand me?

That would be correct, paint the area black, let it dry a bit then sand off the areas you want.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

That's one way to do it, but as it was mentioned before there are a LOT of ways to weather a saber. Painting it and then sanding off the paint will make it look as though it had been painted a long time ago and the paint wore off. Aluma-black will make it look as though the aluminum had oxidized after many many years of use. Some saber builders bake on oil to give it a grimy brown weathering. I've heard of some people burying their parts in moist dirt for a few weeks, although you would have to be very careful not to get any dirt in the threads. One very easy way to weather a saber is to put it in a box with some sharp rocks and sand and give it a good shake, or kick it down the sidewalk a few times. If you want to create a rust effect, choose a place on the saber for your rust marks, scuff it up real good, and then paint over it with a few thinned down coats of rust colored paint. Various patina colored paints can be purchased depending on the effect you want to create.

Whatever method you choose, there is one thing that you must keep in mind if you want your weathering to look good. Always ask yourself how things become weathered in the real world. Keep in mind that most scratches occur on the outer edges of a piece, that anything that is handled regularly will be polished by the hand, that dirt and grime get stuck in cracks and along inner edges, that rust occurs wherever water flows, etc... Take some time and study the wear and tear on a few antiques. It will help you quite a bit. Otherwise your weathering may look fake and unattractive.

There are a lot of resources on the internet that can help you. Model builders especially know a lot about weathering. Now go do some research.

Edit: Move thread to General Hilt Building.
    Last edited by TimeRender; 07-28-2009 at 11:28 AM.

You always could get out the blow torch and flame the metal, it gives it a nice weathered look.

Okay thanks ! I will try different technic on some aluminium to test before do it on my final saber. Whatever, thank you very much for all your technics and yours explications .
    I hope i will finished my saber soon, Goodbye.