Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yet another newbie thread...

Now I'm down to trying to decipher all the various terminology with the diffuser materials and methods. I figure since I already have a decent white drop-in to test, I will just buy a blade and try it out first with that. If the illumination is decent, I will go that route, if not I can start buying the standard LED methods you guys are suggesting and not be out any extra money.

With as many diffusion methods as I am seeing, I have to say the smoothness and even distribution of light of just sanding the exterior seems very tempting. I just know that's a method that is irreversible if I don't end up liking it...
    Dave "AardvarkSagus" Wise: Jedi Padawan

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's a thread to help with Terms http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ing+dictionary

I'd go with cellophane for the diffuser. It is the cheapest and best in my opinion.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AardvarkSagus
    With as many diffusion methods as I am seeing, I have to say the smoothness and even distribution of light of just sanding the exterior seems very tempting. I just know that's a method that is irreversible if I don't end up liking it...
    I know that with some plastics, they use a bath in a chemical such as acetone to smooth out signs of grinding and such. I seem to recall seeing it on some TV show (if I recall correctly, it was regarding the manufacture of plastic eyeglass lenses- which I believe are generally polycarbonate). This may or may not help you out, but it's probably worth looking into if you're on the fence regarding sanding your sabre blade.

Well I have purchased my blade, and I will be looking for some cellophane wrapping paper at craft stores this weekend. I have some ideas how to go about building a hilt but I kind of need to actually see the exact dimensions of the blade before I figure things out well. I have a decent piece of PVC that might work exactly right, but I don't know for sure yet. Andrew (my son) pretty much wants a very simple, less is more hilt, so that will make things easier on me.

For my own saber, I will have to wait a little while and save up the cost of another blade, but I have some decent ideas. I'm only worried about my incompatibility with patience when it comes to DIY projects like this.

Funny thing was when Andrew was expressing his frustration with joining my in-laws camping this weekend because his saber won't be done yet (I had told him that our goal would be to have it completed by our traditional Labor Day camping trip in early Sept).

Well, an update for anyone who cares. I purchased THIS LED drop-in for my light and after less than 30 seconds of use it burned out on me (first LED I have ever had do so). Had to request a replacement which took another several weeks to arrive. Secondly, I bought a simple pushbutton switch from a local hardware store and found that it is too large to fit into my PVC hilt. Things are not progressing well.

I am planning on powering the saber with a single unprotected 18650 li-ion cell, with a protection circuit soldered inline with the switch inside the hilt. Just need to buy a coupler and cap for the PVC (aside from the switch) and I think that I will be able to wrap this up.

Any recommendations on a good inexpensive switch?

Sounds like it is going well. Keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by AardvarkSagus View Post
    Well, an update for anyone who cares. I purchased THIS LED drop-in for my light and after less than 30 seconds of use it burned out on me (first LED I have ever had do so). Had to request a replacement which took another several weeks to arrive. Secondly, I bought a simple pushbutton switch from a local hardware store and found that it is too large to fit into my PVC hilt. Things are not progressing well.

I am planning on powering the saber with a single unprotected 18650 li-ion cell, with a protection circuit soldered inline with the switch inside the hilt. Just need to buy a coupler and cap for the PVC (aside from the switch) and I think that I will be able to wrap this up.

Any recommendations on a good inexpensive switch?
    Least inexpensive switches I've found are sold here in the store at TCSS:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Latching-C25.aspx

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thanks! Man there is some nice stuff there. I need to make a wish list for once I get out of debt...

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AardvarkSagus View Post
    Thanks! Man there is some nice stuff there. I need to make a wish list for once I get out of debt...
    Why? So you can get right back into it?!?!
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    Why? So you can get right back into it?!?!
    That pretty well covers it.