Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ambo.. Question for ya

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

The gold is not paint either, that's the layer of metal underneath that he probably got of with a bit of sanding.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<font color="teal"><font size="3">Yes, I'm sure that's the brass the sink tube is actually made of, after sanding the chrome finish off around the letters.
    Cool effect though....Since he was actually trying to do that.

Or if not, he made it look good afterward.[]

Anyone who's dabbled around with making sink tube sabers has probably gotten over zealous and sanded too much on a tube or two before. I can't be the only one! []

I learned to buy 2 tubes for each saber. Because the first one usually ended up being a "practice" piece.</font id="size3"></font id="teal">

In order to see the Light, you must sometimes risk the Dark.

guess i was lucky. i bought one and didnt muff it up. took my time went really careful on my cuttin and such.

The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

When cutting a sink tube I wrap masking tape around the area I am cutting then I draw the shape on the tape. If you should slip during cutting the tube the tape will normally protect the finish on the sink tube.

Do-Clo
    Sith Lord
    Brotherhood of the Sith
    Give yourself to the Dark Side!!!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<font size="3"><font color="blue">I usually work out the design I'm cutting out on a piece of graph paper I've wrapped around the tube to get the width I need, then take it off and sit down on my bed while I'm watching TV and start playing with the designs I have in my head.

Then I cut out the shapes on that paper and draw them right on the tube with a fine Sharpie (any residual ink comes off with rubbing alcohol). Then I mask outside the cut out areas with a couple of layers of the blue painters masking tape.

That's how I did the cut outs for the emitter end and shroud and the PVC grip sleeve on my first hardware EL saber that I built back in '02.

(That's the original, dim Lightech blade that came with the EL kit I bought, before I started making my own blades)
    People were impressed to see that a girl made something cool like that back 4 years ago. We've come a long way in light up saber technology since then!

It took me a couple years to learn to do the cutouts that way, using masking tape. []

I don't really make sink tube sabers anymore, but I will be making a couple of interchangable sleeves to go on my MHS LED saber soon, so I'll have to be using that method again.</font id="blue"></font id="size3">

In order to see the Light, you must sometimes risk the Dark.

i like to work at my comptuer with music going (usally techno when working)

<center><font size="1"><font color="maroon">Please read the FAQ and the Thread Index before you post.</font id="maroon"></font id="size1">

"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."
    </center>

Very Cool Jedi Loreen your Blade Construction Tutorial on Fan Force is how I got started on building my own, Thanks. When at the Computer since AOHell gives you free XM, I am kind of hooked on Channel 8(80's).[]

<center>
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before me"

</center>