Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which blade?

Oh ok, so what i've decided is that i'm going to use a thin walled,but if i was using corbin film only how many wraps for the best evenness?

the more the better, i've never tried more than 4(quad) wraps. the more you use, the less coring you get.

oh ok, yea i don't care much for a coring effect, i like a more even blade

Banned Sith Lord

ill just throw in my two cents. my favorite blades and ill never replace my preferences. are the thick walled ultrasabers blade. i never get over the coolness of a fresh brand new blade. i love the ultrasabers becuase they look cool UNLIT and lit. and to me the normal ultrablades are pretty even. and with a mirrored tip there bright! so that just my opinion.

Yea, i have a ultra thick walled myself, it can take quite a beating and is still very bright.

My personal preference has always been a thin walled tube and for several reasons.

1. They are cheaper
    2. They are a lot more durable than most people give them credit for. I've never broken a single thin walled tube. I've intentionally tried to damage a tube. I've been able to crack one once (a hairline fracture along the tube's length), and I've been able to dent them, but I've never actually had one snap in half. That's not to say that it's impossible, it's just not likely. And when I damaged these tubes, I was outright abusing them to test their durability. I was smashing with all of my strength, on concrete, against trees, striking them on concrete with a hammer. Dents, dings, scratches, yes on all accounts. But broken, not at all! A duel is nowhere near as brutal as tests like that!
    3. I have uses several different methods of diffusion over the years, and have settled on films. I have always been of the belief that the more light you can pump into the tube, the brighter and more evenly lit your saber will be. So a thin wall tube will always look better visually than a thick walled one.

Again, these are just my own personal preferences, and are merely opinions, not facts, so take please take them as such.

Perhaps this might be of some use to you.

Psab
    Follow Your Bliss

Yes thanks!! A friend and I are doing a choreographed fight for halloween on, i dont know how many streets and neighborhoods, but its gonna be a long night!! And yes its a long way till halloween but why not plan ahead? I'll probably go with a thin tube ultraedge maybe, i like how the light goes to the edge but i heard that it sucks in daylight.

When we say "thinwall" and "thickwall" in regards to polycarbonate blades those are relative terms..."thinwall" should not be misconstrued to mean 'weak' or 'fragile'...even "thinwall" polycarbonate blades are VERY strong simply because polycarbonate as a material 'flexes' and can thus absorb a lot of impact without much damage.

See these videos which show both the impact absorbing ability of polycarbonate as a material in comparison to acrylic [and why you should never duel with an acrylic display blade] and polycarbonate's durability as a saber blade specifically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONMGt...e=channel_page

Its worth knowing that 40 years ago NASA selected polycarbonate [under its then patent name Lexan] as the material for Apollo Astronaut moon helmet visors and that armoured limo 'bulletproof glass' and modern police PR-24 batons are also made of polycarbonate.

While nothing is 'unbreakable' you are very UNLIKELY to break even a "thinwall" pc blade in any 'normal' dueling...but if you want to abusively 'gorilla' duel or use it as an actual defensive baton then yes a "thickwall" blade is even stronger albeit less bright and heavier.

Polycarbonate is not perfect however...it can scratch and will 'scuff' from dueling...for that reason TCSS has available the Novus polish packets...which are worth it imo.

Holy smokes hahaha thats amazing!! Love how he shoots it with a shotgun. Yea i understand how strong it is, thinwalled it is!! Sorry if this has been answered but whats the difference between Corbin style and TCSS style battle blades?

The TCSS battle blade uses a solid diffuser rather than a film diffuser.

Functionally the main difference is that some people find that repeated heavy dueling impacts can cause 'crinkling' to appear in a flexible film diffuser that can be visible in the commonly used transparently clear poly-c blade tubes.

Personally I've found with both Ultrablades and Corbin Blades from TCSS that yes the diffuser films may momentarily 'crinkle' on impact but then flexes back and the crinkling disappears, so I havent had an 'issue' with it yet...but then I don't duel 'heavy'...people who do and find that a frequent issue may prefer a solid diffuser so it is a worthwhile option.

In the event you do go with a white poly-c blade rather than a clear one film-crinkling shouldnt be as much of a concern since the white poly-c is translucent not transparent.

I wouldnt worry too much about it anyway imo.