Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battery Leak / Explosion

sounds like a bad battery pack to me. Try a different one.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Will try and post results, thanks again all!

Thumbs up

Well problem solved I think. I said to myself "hmmm 6AA's......9volts.....damn why don't I just use a 9v battery?" The battery connector even had a 9v connector. So I ran it for 20 mins with a 9v connected straight to the 9v connector and no problems.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the battery was quite warm when I checked after about 15-20 mins of run time, this mean that it's due to blow, or you guys and gals think that's normal?

Thanks in advance.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Running that kind of draw out of a 9V battery for that long is pretty harsh. It's probably just warm because it was working hard.

Thumbs up

Indeed, I tried it longer and the battery is fine, just working hard as ya said. It actually started to dim after 30 mins, so I assume that's about average bat life? Hope this thread can be of use to any others that may have this problem too. Thanks all.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

A 9V battery will never have the run time of 6 AAs or even 6AAA batteries. You'll get 1 1/2hrs or so from those.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I don't get why you had to use 6AA? I'm getting the TCSS Lux III kit and im getting a red/orange Lux III like you but it only comes with 4AA/AAA pack.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakoniamX View Post
    I don't get why you had to use 6AA? I'm getting the TCSS Lux III kit and im getting a red/orange Lux III like you but it only comes with 4AA/AAA pack.
    That´s because you´re going to direct-drive the LED via a resistor, and the proposed case uses a buckpuck. Refer to the lightsaber terms dictionary for more info on the buckpucks.

I used 6 for two reasons, I liked the idea of having a 9V battery pad (hooks to the 6AA pack and makes it able to snap on and off), but also I figured longer running time with 6AA's over 4.

I'll be connecting a low power led later, just for an internal light effect, and I can draw right off the main pack, without fear of killing battery life. I'm new to electronics for sure, but unless my judgment betrays me, why have 4 when you can have 6, the American way right?

6 AA's won't give any longer of a runtime that 4 AA's unless two of the 6 batteries are wired in parallel. Most battery packs like the ones Tim sells in the store have all of the batteries in series, so you are increasing the voltage in 6-AA battery pack, not the current capacity. 6 AA's = 9 volts, and 4 AA's = 6 volts, but the same type of batteries in both packs will still die at about the same time.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.