Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battery Leak / Explosion

Unhappy Battery Leak / Explosion

Forgive me if this is answered elswhere (don't think it is) I have a battery leak/explosion issue.
    I just built an led saber with a luxion 3 light and 1000 buckpuck. I followed the newb instructions to a tee and had a working light without a problem. An hour or so after I put it all together and after about three minutes of being powered on I heard a small pop and a fizz. One of the batteries had popped and leaked. The light was still on however as the ciruit was still complete.
    I don't want to kill more batteries so I haven't tested again to see if it would happen.
    Anyone know how to prevent this / what's causing this? I have 6AA pack with a 1000 buckpuck, a quick connect, and a luxion 3 led, all connected properly (I quadrupal checked). I know a backwards connection can cause this but I have checked for that already. Too many AA's, bad batteries, known issues?

I'm thinking to many batteries, try just four double a's instead. I think six batteries is to much juice for the led.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

6aa is not overkill when using a buckpuck.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

It may depend on what led colour your using, because onle a couple can handle that much mah.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Default More info

I'm using good ol' radioshack, non-rechargable Alkaline AA's and a Red-Orange Luxeon III. So we thinking that 6 maybe too much, even with a buck-puck?

Force Aware

Is it possible that your batteries that were placed inside of the Saber touching and scraping off the plastic shield around the outside of the battery? This could cause a short between the batteries and still cause light to be produced. If the fit is really tight make sure that you are not scraping the plastic off of the batteries.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It also could have just been one bad battery.

I've had that happen in one of my sabers before, also running a 1000mA buck puck, with a 4AAA pack with Alkalines . Though I wasn't using it at the time. I tried to turn it on and it was dead. I opened it up and found that one of the batteries had 'sploded inside it.

I cleaned the saber, put in new batteries and haven't had any problems with any batteries since.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Default Thanks all

Well I'm going to try putting the bateries in and see if it happens again. It maybe just a bum battery. I checked and everything's in place, no rough edges or scraped plastic so I'll give it another go.

If it happens again I'll send another post. Thanks all for your help and suggesitons so far, good to see a helpful thriving forum! Feel free to reply still if you have any other suggesitons not mentioned.

Default still problematic

Well I tried another round of batteries, while it didn't pop-fizz, one of the batteries actually must have expanded a bit , as the plastic wrapping split. I replaced it, and added another bat, again the battery packing split on that one battery. So there must still be something wrong.

There a chance if the buckpuck, or the batteries touch the mhs parts that they can short out? All connections are covered and no electronics are bare, that's the only reason I don't think it's a short.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It does sound like a short somewhere. A buck puck won't short out against the hilt, all the components inside it are encapsulated in insulative material.

Check on the LED end to make sure that the wiring isn't touching the hilt anywhere.

I'd take everything out of the saber and try it that way. If it's still happening, maybe something's wrong with your battery holder, like an internal short somewhere.

If it doesn't happen, then you need to check everything metallic that could possibly short against the hilt.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!