Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic-Con Lightsaber

Default Comic-Con Lightsaber

so I have been checking out this site ever couple months for the last six months. As things turned out I couldnt get any of my friends to get a comic-con ticket with me... so now I'm going solo... and I always said if I went I would have a lightsaber built by then... so Comic-con is around the corner... july 23rd..

I need your help to help me construct and get My lightsaber built before that time if at all possible.

So... I know I want a led light one.. and that I dont want the blade yet... just the saber hilt and electronics on the inside for light.. if possible!

thanks for any help than can be thrown my way... I must get this done in 20 days!

Daysen

my best advice/ help would be to continue reading the forums:
    step 1 http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=2087
    step 2 http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=2025
    step 3 http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=6430

and then play with this to see what you want your saber to look like.
    step 4 http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Why don't you want a blade yet? And LED without a blade is kind of boring.
    And sad. Other people there will have blades for their sabers.

If you don't get a blade, then I recommend getting one of these safety plugs so you don't blind anyone, or yourself:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-...plug-P239.aspx

But first, go read this thread and it will tell you everything you need to know to build a basic MHS LED lightsaber:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=6430

Damn,
    I knew someone would beat me if I took too long to post. That's what happens when I'm multi-tasking.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Alright, first off you need to do some reading.
    Basic Tutorial
    Tutorial with Buckpuck

Also, read and read and read and read.
    You have any experience in electronics/soldering? That is very helpful, but don't worry if you do not.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think we can stop posting the link to LDM's noob MHS building tutorial, after 3 times.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

ok so I got lots of reading good place to start

I would love to have a blade, but if I run out of time thats ok I'm willing to not have a blade, but a blade for the hilt would be very nice to have on.

also I dont have any experience with electronics... but I can do tutorials very well so I'm hoping for the best.. thanks guys.. I will be looking to you for the next 20 days to help me complete my mission.!!

Do you have any soldering equipment? Kind of important if you want to solder...

Quote Originally Posted by Thaxos View Post
    Do you have any soldering equipment? Kind of important if you want to solder...
    I do not... does every lightsaber need that, is there a way to get around this?

LEDs do NEED to be soldered somehow to wires to be able to draw power from batteries in order for the LED to get the energy to light up...there is no way around that. Though it might be theoretically possible to use a lighter and soldering tape instead of an iron and wire solder I've never done that with LEDs so can't say if its more tricky than its worth...you are probably better to just stick to using an iron and wire solder imo...you can get a iron for under $10 that will serve basic saber building needs.

And imo you should try and get a blade if you can...turning on the saber and seeing the glowing blade is just so much better and cooler than a static hilt...if you don't feel you have time to learn how to make one you can get a pre-made complete blade here which saves you time.

And since time is of the essence for you and you don't say what other tools you do have it may be best for you to get as much else done by Strydur as possible also...for example if you don't have a drill press you can get him to drill and tap the bladeholder for a blade retention setscrew and drill and tap the hilt for a d-ring or covertec knob [if you go that way dont forget a covertec clip for your belt]...that way you won't have to do any machining just parts assembly.

The fastest way to get a custom saber built would be to configure a hilt design using MHS builder and order the parts and any services as above from TCSS along with one of the wonderfully convenient Lux III LED electronics kits available from TCSS [avoid K2 kits they can be tricky to solder for beginners]...the basic LED electronics kit has everything you need for a basic LED 'stunt' saber except a soldering iron and rosin core solder and I would suggest you start with that keep-it-simple appoach in the short time you have...you will learn the basic sabersmithing skills that way and you can always upgrade to sound etc later when you have more time and experience.

Also be sure to wear some kind of work gloves and safety goggles if doing any machining or soldering...your hands and eyes are worth too much not to eh?...always build SAFELY.

Good luck and MTFBWY
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 07-04-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nesyad View Post
    I do not... does every lightsaber need that, is there a way to get around this?
    Yes you will need a soldering iron and a good rosin core solder and don't forget the heatshrink tubing to cover the soldered joints.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)