Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: led trouble...

Default led trouble...

im new to the saber scene and soldering; and i soldered a royal blue led to an anakin board. when i turn the saber on, the led blinks on once for like a second and goes out but the sound stays on.....

any ideas or help would be awesome.
    thanks

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

We need more information to be able to help you. What LED, Lux III? What's your battery solution?

Pics of your wiring job would also be helpful.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by zukuto skykiller View Post
    im new to the saber scene and soldering; and i soldered a royal blue led to an anakin board. when i turn the saber on, the led blinks on once for like a second and goes out but the sound stays on.....

any ideas or help would be awesome.
    thanks
    Sounds like you soldered the + pad on the LED to the HIT line rather than the VDD line. Take a picture and I will tell you for sure.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

its a lux III and its soldered to an mr anakin board and battery pack. ill get pics up as soon as i can. thanks guys

Is there a heatsink involved in this saber?

If not... I am seeing a heatsink being ordered and shipped to your home/workshop in the future... ...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

yea i have a heatsink from tcss i ordered when i did my own windu conversion. i soldered a red led into it n no problem. put the blue back on, and same problems came back so i just scrapped it and am goin to order a fresh lux III

thanks everyone

I know the MR boards do some pretty strange things when they are low on batteries or underpowered

im finding this out first hand. im learning tho so its all part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by vargose View Post
    I know the MR boards do some pretty strange things when they are low on batteries or underpowered
    i was gonna say something about that my maul was the one that freaked out on me the most maybe you should try to run the led without the mr board

MTFBWY

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

One note on troubleshooting (for most anything):

If you change out one part... but you still get the SAME problem--you've discovered that it is VERY unlikely to be that part causing said problem.

In other words--you changed the LED... yet you get the same problem = 90% chance it is NOT the LED.

It's true that I *HAVE* seen two of the same part tried in a row... both being defective... but that is some ludicrous bad luck.

Actually... many years ago when I repaired LaserJet printers... I needed to replace a fuser assembly (not a "fuse"). Simple. Common wear-'n-tear part. Common problem. Well... I replaced it... no dice. I tried a back up. STILL no dice. I chased the problem around for about TWO BLOODY HOURS... nothing...

I felt pretty high on crack, but I had a THIRD fuser assembly that was messed up / used--but functional. I tried it. IT WORKED.

Worst.
    Luck.
    Ever.

The problem was the fuser all along... it's just:

* Customer's fuser assembly was bad/old/broken...
    * My NEW replacement fuser was defective...
    * My BACKUP was defective...
    * Only this POS, used, piece of junk, dirty fuser actually worked to verify the problem.

I'll never forget it. I just about threw a fit. I was like... WTF?!?! How am I supposed to REPAIR anything when all I have are a bunch of "new" pieces o' carp!!!??!?! hahahhahah.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide