Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sound with el

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    coming from the father of a 4 year old boy, I can say that he knows his son best and if he is not comfortable with an LED saber, then he should go EL. Everyone should build at least 1 EL saber IMO, because it helps to understand sabercraft from all angles!
    Ok, sorry.

I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes or anything. I was just making sure he knew the possibilities of both.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    Ok, sorry.

I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes or anything. I was just making sure he knew the possibilities of both.
    LOL, no need to be sorry!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

What makes you guys think that a 5 year old will be able to loosen a thumbscrew or set screw in the hilt??????????????
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

It's a fair question and many kids might not but would you want to bet a child's eyesight that he/she couldn't?

It would depend on the child of course and what resources [s]he had around...my father was a millwright so there were always lots of tools around including all varieties of screwdrivers and I was the curious type of kid who had a Meccano set at 5 and liked assembling and disassembling Meccano projects that fastened together with nuts and bolts and screws...I suspect I'd have figured out that a setscrew was a screw and had it out PDQ if Lux sabers had existed.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 07-04-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by $tarkiller View Post
    What makes you guys think that a 5 year old will be able to loosen a thumbscrew or set screw in the hilt??????????????
    My 4 year old son would (and has) have a set screw off in 30 seconds or less. He is an evil mastermind, but I still prefer that he not blind himself or his sister!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

As a child, I was pretty precocious with tools, too. I was always taking things apart.

It's probably a good thing there were no high powered LEDs or lasers in consumer products back in the 1960s.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    I have been reading alot, but havent seen anything about how to wire in a cheapo sound board to a el saber. My son is 5 and i dont want to give him a LED saber. He really would like his saber to have sound! can anyone point me in the right direction?
    I have done a el sber with a hasbro sound board and there is a diagram some where on the forum. The basics are that you use 2- 4AAA battery holders and connect them in series. You use the two packs to drive the el inverter and 1 pack to drive the hasbro sound board, by center taping the back packs. You put a relay on the output of the habro sound board where the led is normally connected and you use the relay to turn the el inverter on and off controled by the sound board. If you get stuck email me and i will make a new diagram to help you
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    My 4 year old son would (and has) have a set screw off in 30 seconds or less. He is an evil mastermind, but I still prefer that he not blind himself or his sister!
    On the topic of protecting the set screw from kids, you could put so apoxie over it to cover the screw head, then some sinktube to hide the apoxie.

I am however not saying it is the better choice to go led with a kid, could hurt their eyes. Whatever patd builds for his kid is fine with me.

Ofcourse you could upgrade to LED when the child gets older.
    Last edited by Sairon; 07-08-2009 at 11:28 AM.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

dunno if this would be a hassel, but you could by an anakin rots, and convert it. Then, put the set screw UNDER one of the brass knobs.... probably a stupid idea, but it could work, right? And If so, then super glue the kob back on.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

I know this thread is old, but I think I need to point out that it doesnt matter how well you secure the blade or set screw. There will always be a risk of LED exposure from the blade tip coming off.

As for the issue at hand, sound boards for EL, it isn't too far off.

I just made a deal that will keep the Empire out of here forever: a sound board that can run just about anything, including EL.
    http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity