Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Are belts Necessary?

Just to clarify I believe the term for that sheath type is called a baldric.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Quote Originally Posted by Sairon View Post

Just to clarify I believe the term for that sheath type is called a baldric.
    you are right actually, though it's immaterial to my suggestion, I'm just too tired to look up the nomenclature right now.

Actually, that isn't a baldric. It's a belt with a sword hanger(also called a frog). A baldric is suspended from the shoulder, going across the chest, like this:

I was actually thinking of using a baldric, especially since the saber I'm building is a bit on the long side.

Meh, they are basicly the same, to much sword information is cramed in my brain so I mix things up sometimes. Thanks for the clarifacation though.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

I too understand the dilemma between making your own characters costume meanwhile trying to make it believable in the Star Wars Universe.

The thing that I find ironic is that Lucas has always been a strong proponent against the corporate committee mentality of "Where, When, How, Who and What it is going to be!" Yet most of the major costume groups today preach the very same control methods that Lucas is against. He had his own vision of what he would like to see and didn't want Studio heads deciding what his epic space opera would consist of. Lucas was a director that wanted Hollywood to come to him and essentially he achieved this. Lucas didn’t think of every idea and detail that went into the trilogies though. When studying the making of all of these films it is very clear that he instructed the artists and other personnel to add little bits here and there. Adding there own touches to make the story, scene or costume more interesting. When you have a production like the size of Star Wars you need to have units of experts that also put there two cents in so that you can have an eclectic experience.

I understand about the licensing rights and all of the issues you have to go through now in order be one of these groups which again is ironic as this is what Lucas didn't want, but once something gets so massive and popular legal issues come into play which preach rules, but not to the point where those rules should stifle others creativity. Once you get to a certain point in Star Wars myth there is a standard as far as what the Jedi order of the "Movie" Old Republic wore and then 19 to 22 years later when you see how Luke is taking the garb. Some would say that this is another loophole in between the trilogies but Lucas may have wanted it this was. Out with the old in with the new so to speak. My mom and I worked together when I was little to help me make all of the Star wars costumes of the characters I loved and they all worked very well.

Now that I am 27 I still see the allure of dressing up as Obi-Wan and Anakin (mainly because I would fit the part now) but I have just seen so many. Some would say it never gets boring but after awhile the magic wanes. 40 Episode III Obi-Wan’s and 50 Anakin’s would be very cool all lined up in a row but 90 customized Jedi and Sith would be much cooler if done with enough effort. Lucas said in a 1980's interview that he designed the Star Wars universe for one and all and for others to take it as far as they want. This does mean customization, fan films, fan fiction and you have seen this through the years. Now here is where opinion plays a role.

A lot of "Canon" type groups put up the bold claim that "This is what the Jedi wore!" In one sense this statement is true if you’re gravitating towards the movie lore, but what about all of the other types of Jedi clothing that Lucas wanted to scrupulously go through and authorize for the entire expanded universe. Yes people are making and wearing costumes from the EU which I think is great, why? Because it is a break from the norm.

The birth of a "Canon & Non-Canon" group is upon us, why you ask? Because once a group of individuals is cohesively organized into a group where you must strictly follow a set of rules, someone will have a spark of creativity. This spark can be the tiniest glitter but it is small enough to cause a rift between members of this group. Then others start to have sparks maybe even bigger. Then something drastic or amazing happens, either the group parts ways which I believe is the wrong direction, or they start a new branch of the group for the creative members. The Jedi council is a clear example of a committee being blinded by there own rules and ways which ultimately destroyed them.

I think that if the Rebel Legion, Jedi Assembly and the 501st all had this branch they would be even more of an influential force then they already are. It's like playing with Lego’s as a child, some people build using the instructions, some build from the main picture on the box (Me) or some take every single part and build there own creation. People need choices and open minds if they are to be part of a cohesive group or unit. Lucas wanted to make his own choices and not have a committee decide for him and he wanted a universe as far as this world can see. Trust me everyone, we can all see much farther then we think. All in all, belts are needed... why you ask? If I didn't have a belt on right now, well let’s just say that my boss would send me home to put one on. Good chat and May the Force be with you all!!!
    Last edited by Gray Master Drexx; 08-04-2009 at 07:22 AM.

You might want to break that up into paragraphs. I managed to get through most of it, but to many, that will be just a wall of text. :P

Oh, and about the whole rules and strict guidelines, you need to read the charters for the 501st and Rebel Legion.

B. COSTUMING STANDARDS - The 501st Legion promotes creating, owning, and wearing the costumes of the Imperial Forces and denizens as featured in the Star Wars films and expanded universe. To capture the magic of these characters, the goal will always be the accurate presentation and portrayal of these costumes. However, we recognize that this hobby centers around fun and creativity. Therefore, the 501st makes allowances for the creative modification of these costumes within the confines of decency (defined as being without profane or vulgar features or statements and must be viewable by young children).
    The Rebel Legion celebrates creating, owning, and wearing the costumes of the Hero, Rebel and Republic forces as featured in the six Star Wars films, the Expanded Universe (EU), un-used conceptual art for the films, comics, books, games, and television shows based on the licensed LFL Star Wars saga material. To capture the magic of these characters, our goal will always be the accurate presentation and portrayal of these costumes. The Rebel Legion has two types of costume distinctions. These are Formal and Informal.

Formal: Formal is defined as a costume from one of the six Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, or Lucasfilm Licensed Media (TV, books, games, etc.) as it would appear in those materials. Costumes must be complete, containing all the parts in good working order and appearance. All costume submissions must meet the Costume Standards listed in the Costume Standards Master List, on The Rebel Legion website.
    Applicants submitting costumes for any Expanded Universe costume must also submit three (3) LFL licensed sources for the character/costume, in order for it to be considered Formal.

Informal: Informal is defined as costume from one of the six Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, Lucasfilm Licensed Media (TV, books, games, etc.) that does not contain all the elements as it appears in the source material and/or is customized as the owner desires. An Informal costume can also be something never seen in a film, EU, or LFL media material. These original and customized costumes will be considered, provided that their level of customization has some precedence in the Star Wars Universe. Informal costumes may be reproductions of film or EU costumes that do not meet all the Costume Standards listed in the Costume Standards Master List, on The Rebel Legion website, or they may be EU costumes with less then three (3) reference sources.
    It may seem the legion are biased towards 'canon' costumes, but at the same time, the people who perceive us have to be able to easily recognise us. Sadly that mean that going too far into EU or even a 'custom' can tarnish that effect, and as such, the image/effect of the Legion/s. Im in it mostly to raise money for childrens charities, so I dont mind what I wear as long as that gets done. Its why I joined both Legions
    Last edited by Alcfalath; 08-03-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I ran into it and fell on my face...

It was a lot of great ideas though... especially not sticking to the norm.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

DREXX JUST GOT SLAMMED!!!

You are absolutely right about the giant wall there. Sometimes from the posters point of view it never seems like a wall until someone else runs into it. My apologies, I will need to break that up and maybe also edit it as to where I wasn't specific enough.

I have read both of these manifestos and they are honorable ones at that. Just so all of you know I am not against these groups in anyway, shape or form in fact I hope to join the Rebel Legion and the Jedi Assembly with my hopefully accurate portrayal of Galen Marek in his Jedi Adventurer outfit from The Force Unleashed video game.

I should have been more specific when debating between Canon and Non-Canon ideals. I knew that the groups let you do your own customizing on the costumes to a certain degree but the costume still has to be part of the Movie or EU which there are obvious reasons for. I understand the fun, challenging aspects of creating the costume from your most beloved character in every accurate intricate detail. Audiences and children need a character that they know and love not some random Gray Jedi named Baylen Drexx. I still think that it’s fun to do your own thing every once in a while.

I love the charity work that the 501st and the Rebel Legion do and that is also the main reason I would like to get involved. Be part of a collective group bringing joy and hope to kids.

I guess it wouldn’t be a problem if a member of the 501st or the Rebel Legion one day dressed as your own character during a Convention. They would just need to make sure people knew that it isn’t your Legion’s costume. If there isn’t anything wrong with that then there really isn’t any need for debate.

I do understand all of these points so forgive me if I wasn't clear enough in my last post. I am actually very excited about joining the Legion’s (If they accept me!). The Force Unleashed costume I am working on with my Mother in Law is going well. She is awesome for helping me with it. She is currently sewing up the white vinyl tabard robe and the gauntlets for the costume. I am working on the rest of the ensemble. All in all, I think this was a good debate that got things out in the open and also put some issues to rest. May the Force be with you!

I read through this thread and found it very interesting as far as the varying opinions on costume design and part requirements to have a (I guess the best way to say it is) good costume. It seems to me the already existing and very influential groups have developed what any group does that lasts is a method of quality control in the costumes they view as acceptable. The group The Jedi Collective which unless i am wrong started in this form is far more flexible in their requirements as far as the belt/no belt issue goes. But they too have a quality standard they list in their charter.

More to the point, it is the quality control aspect that helps these groups survive and thrive. This is what I believe has contributed to the down fall of just about any Sith based group that might have come up. The evidence is even right on this form as mentioned about the Darth Doggy (think it was titled Darth Anubis). I will admit I am working on a Sith costume dealing with armor and it is a slow process and when i am done i will post it and welcome feedback on it.

So to close this; people please put as much thought as possible into your costume concept, design, and execution. It makes a difference.
    Last edited by Goltar Bias; 08-06-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typos happen
    "Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci

Absolutely great point and close Goltar! < The Force is strong with this one!