Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Are belts Necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Shadox View Post
    hmm....maybe there should be....maybe there will be.
    There's already talk of a non canon sith group in the works. Unfortunately, most 'Darth's & 'Lord's come up with costumes as 'interesting' as a tie pilot helmet and an anorak, so most other fans would prefer to be in a costuming group where there is some form of standards, hence all the canon groups demand a belt.

And Cipher is right, a combat vest would be impractical for all the jumps/flips a jedi would have to do.
    Also, comfort-wise at conventions would be an issue. I went to the last con in just my jedi tunics, and I was cooking throughout. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to wear my tacvest there as well!!!

And have you ever tried running with full leg pockets on a pair of cargo pants? It's totally impractical, and should you have to draw a saber quickly from your pocket halfway down your leg, you'd more than likely trip yourself up as you're walking, or the other guy would decapitate you long before you could draw yours.

Equipment is easier to get off of a belt quickly, and is more practical for movement, that's why all military forces/ emergency services still use equipment belts.

Plus, the belt just completes the outfit!!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

The classic jedi clothing consists of a kimono-style tunic that has no (visible) fasteners. Over that is a tabard made up of what are basically long, wide ribbons of fabric. A belt is needed to keep the tunic and the tabard together.
    The Jedi wear a japanese-inspired "obi" - a fabric belt, but the fabric belt on its own is flimsy... and you can not see any fastener on this either.
    So a leather belt with a buckle is worn around all this this. It holds together both the fabric belt, tabard and tunic.
    You could have tie-straps at the hips of the tunic, and at the obi, but then the belt would have to cover this up.
    For holding the pants up, underneath a jedi tunic, I find draw-string pants or suspenders to be a better choice than a belt.

I also think that it is weird to have clothing without pockets, if you have to carry things around. But the japanese kimono -- from which the clothing is inspired -- did not have any pockets either. The japanese wore their items in their sleeves, tucked into their robes, or using soft pouches hanging from a string from the belt with a pebble (a "netsuke") at the other end.

...Batman. Coolest. Belt. Ever.
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IMO, A belt is part of a Jedi/Sith's identity. It, like their saber, shows part of their personailty.

You take away the belt, and the costume just doesn't look complete.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Why do the Sith and Jedi wear belts? How else will they hold up their pants?

In all seriousness, belts are a utility that are non-obstructive to movement (as previously stated), as well as offer a location to hang/place objects on the fly.

Another reason, along the lines of tactical/fashionable, belts allow clothes to be drawn in at the waist, allowing the clothes to follow the natural body lines, giving less obstructions when moving around. Flowing clothes, such as robes or capes, can become caught in diverse move sets. If you need an example, put on your bathrobe and pin the bottom closed. Then try to do any of the normal moves you would in a saber duel (blocking, attacking, parrying and riposting). Martial artists wear clothes that are loose fitting, but follow the body. A reason being, if I were to get caught in my own uniform while attacking someone, I'd a) be embarrassed, b) get my rear end handed to me, c) hurt myself.

I hope this gives you some idea of why belts are useful.

JVIT,

You may have the best logical explanation of all the other posts. Not that they were necessarily wrong, but it does present the arguments in a structured manner. Thank you. The previous comments from everyone has made my hesitancy for a belt, less so. However, I may still strap my saber over my left shoulder instead of clipping it to a belt. It will just look silly to have 20" of hilt hanging from my hip to thigh.
    We are all pursuing our convictions. The Jedi's truth is simply that which they desire to be true, as it is with us. In that way, Jedi are no different than we Sith, even if they would like to be. -Darth Shadox-

JVIT,

You may have the best logical explanation of all the other posts. Not that they were necessarily wrong, but it does present the arguments in a structured manner. Thank you. The previous comments from everyone has made my hesitancy for a belt, less so. However, I may still strap my saber over my left shoulder instead of clipping it to a belt. It will just look silly to have 20" of hilt hanging from my hip to thigh.
    With that large a hilt, i'd go for a Kota style back strap. http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0...a_bg_large.jpg
    Some of us do try to put our answers in a structured manner, though unfortunately we only speak english, which others on the other side of the atlantic have trouble understanding. :P

I think most peoples' concerns are that we have recently had a spate of "Darth's" & "Master's" or "Lord's" that have come up with some really dumb ideas for costumes. (The TIE pilot lid & anorak, or the Triumph the dog mask being my faves!)

Having re-read your topic about your 'celtic' inspired hilt, I can see you have much more sense than most other Darths that have infected here recently, so I think you could get away with doing something abit different with your costume.
    I personally would have a belt on your costume too, maybe use it to secure a bandolier strap for your hilt scabbard.... just a suggestion...
    Last edited by Barmic Rin; 06-29-2009 at 05:50 AM.

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:

Default my goal

Thanks. I definitely love SW too much to do something asinine. Triumph the dog mask?!? Really? I've been involved with SW lore since I was a lad and as such have been steeped in the canon and have a deep respect for it. However, I always feel that thinking outside of the box and being original are important concepts of costuming, design, and RP. I probably will have a belt of some sort. I just have the physical ability to carry more weight due to my size and would like to take advantage of that in regards to my costuming. Knowing the average size person, 5'5"-5'8", how sinister would a 6'4-5" Sith walking into a room be, in a Sith robe with Sithari runes etched in gold lining around the hood, and under the robe he is covered in black armor with gold accents and an massive saber pommel protruding over his left shoulder? I'm a huge KOTOR fan, and my character is pre-Ruusan Reformation, which is when Jedi stopped really using armor.

My goal isn't to get black linens from a Wal-Mart and a red torch can call myself a Sith. I desire to bring into creation a believable character. An ancient Sith, one that has seen the battles of the Old Wars and lived on to tell about it, lurking in the shadows, and waiting to take ultimate revenge on the pompous Jedi.

Regards,

DS
    We are all pursuing our convictions. The Jedi's truth is simply that which they desire to be true, as it is with us. In that way, Jedi are no different than we Sith, even if they would like to be. -Darth Shadox-

Thanks. I definitely love SW too much to do something asinine. Triumph the dog mask?!? Really? I've been involved with SW lore since I was a lad and as such have been steeped in the canon and have a deep respect for it. However, I always feel that thinking outside of the box and being original are important concepts of costuming, design, and RP. I probably will have a belt of some sort. I just have the physical ability to carry more weight due to my size and would like to take advantage of that in regards to my costuming. Knowing the average size person, 5'5"-5'8", how sinister would a 6'4-5" Sith walking into a room be, in a Sith robe with Sithari runes etched in gold lining around the hood, and under the robe he is covered in black armor with gold accents and an massive saber pommel protruding over his left shoulder? I'm a huge KOTOR fan, and my character is pre-Ruusan Reformation, which is when Jedi stopped really using armor.

My goal isn't to get black linens from a Wal-Mart and a red torch can call myself a Sith. I desire to bring into creation a believable character. An ancient Sith, one that has seen the battles of the Old Wars and lived on to tell about it, lurking in the shadows, and waiting to take ultimate revenge on the pompous Jedi.

Regards,

DS
    THAT's the kinda sith we want on here!!!

If you need to use a General Kota style backclip (sheath, what have you), you may be able to fasten it to the outside of your cloak, using some straps to sew on or velcro the clip point(s) (pending if you want the saber to hang down from your shoulder, or follow diagonally [requiring 2 clips]).

Another option is to have your saber hanging horizontally on your belt in the back (2 clips may be required to hold at this point) underneath your cloak. This will allow you the freedom of the cloak, a place to put your saber that will not be intrusive to your costume, and allow you easy access to your weapon.

I hope this helps. If you need further explanation, I can draw up a model for you to further illustrate if it's confusing.

J. Vit